The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My hard keeper is not anymore, help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-hard-keeper-not-anymore-help-163834/)

poppy1356 03-28-2013 09:48 AM

My hard keeper is not anymore, help?

4 Attachment(s)
So for those that know Lizzy and her story she is now what I am calling fat. She looks pregnant and her neck is huge now. You have to push to feel ribs. Now obviously she still needs muscle as its kinda hard to build muscle on a skinny horse, that is our next project.

But here is my problem, she has gained significant weight in just a week. She was on stall rest for a week due to a slight accident where she decided it was best to trip over a snow mound and drop us into the road. So she banged up her knee a bit, being old the swelling took a bit to go down and with it being so icy but everything melting she stayed in until swelling was completely gone. So she is back out now but shes fat.

I won't be able to do some good riding until all the snow and ice melts which could be a good two weeks yet. So do I cut back on her feed now or wait until we start riding a lot?

She gets about 2lbs of alfalfa pellets, 1oz of her vitamin/min supp, msm, and then about 3-4oz of canola oil and this is all fed twice per day (so double everything for daily value).

Obviously I will be cutting back on the oil. But should I cut back her alfalfa? She otherwise only gets semi-ok grass hay basically free choice. She is stalled from 5pm until about 8am every night until May 1 then she will be out 24/7. Since it is getting pretty darn muddy I don't want her standing in mud all the time so I'm keeping her in the stall at night so her feet can dry out.

And now for pictures. Taken yesterday. Some are some weird angles, she has to watch me all the time so getting her square isn't happening.

CLaPorte432 03-28-2013 10:08 AM

893 Attachment(s)
I think she looks fine...?

She's needs muscle so I would work her. But, shell loose weight if you don't keep up on her feed.

I wouldn't change her diet at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl 03-28-2013 10:11 AM

i wouldnt change anything. she was just in for a week and not moving around and usual, which could account for some weight gain.

poppy1356 03-28-2013 10:12 AM

Haha it's so hard to capture her actual size in pictures they always make her look skinnier. Wish it worked that way for me lol.

My biggest worry is she put on a lot of weight in the last week and since I won't really be able to ride much for a while yet I don't want her getting any bigger. She is 20 and also an arab that was a broodmare all her life. She used to tear around in the round pen as soon as I stepped in the middle now she is getting lazy and almost looks winded after a couple laps at the trot.

Edit: She doesn't usually move around much outside lol. She much prefers to sleep in the sun and munch on hay all day. Occasionally her and her paddock mate will run a few laps but he is much more fluffy than her so it doesn't last long.

poppy1356 03-28-2013 10:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok found a couple pictures from this last weekend that show her belly a little better. I know she needs muscle, being a rescue that finally has weight on for the first time in her life made it hard to get any muscle on her before.

Cacowgirl 03-28-2013 10:25 AM

I think she looks fine.

poppy1356 03-28-2013 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
*sigh* she's huge I know the pictures aren't showing it very well so for comparison I am posting a picture of her paddock mate who is about 1in shorter than her. He is about as tall and as long as her. He doesn't look overly fat here but I can tell you he is at least 200-300lbs more than she is.

Reiner8 03-28-2013 11:17 AM

I would use a weight loss feed or supplement.

poppy1356 03-28-2013 11:23 AM

Absolutely no grains or any kind of supplements enter her diet except for vitamin mineral and joint support. She doesn't necissarily need to lose weight but rather not gain any more. She definately has an intolerance to something in pelleted feed, could be the "grains", could be soy and could be flax. Don't know but I also try to feed as natural as possible.

If she gained quite a bit in a week, I'm trying to figure out if I should cut her feed back until I can start riding more?

spirit88 03-28-2013 11:40 AM

I would leave her feedings the same for now. Honestly she doesn't look that fat you sure don't want her to drop off to much.

Once you can ride her she will tone up and look great.