The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Hangin' Tree Cowdogs (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/hangin-tree-cowdogs-163922/)

KayceeJo 03-28-2013 12:04 PM

Hangin' Tree Cowdogs

Has anyone ever had a Hangin' Tree before? One of my good friends and her husband took a trek out to western Utah to bring back to pups- one blue merle male and a black and white female. These pups are now 8 months old, and are amazing on cattle! They are the best dogs I have seen when they are working tandem- no matter the size of the herd. Work great alongside other dogs, horses, fourwheelers, and pickups. I am wanting to know if most of the Hangin' Tree breed is like these to, or if they just have some of the top genetics and workability. And what exactly is the breed mix in them? I have heard everything with Australian Sheperds, Queensland Heelers, Border Collies, Kelpies, and Catahulas. The ones that I have seen have a variety of colors, but usually a very decent temperment and they always seem very trainable.What are your opinions? And has anyone ever owned and worked one?

COWCHICK77 03-28-2013 12:20 PM

We have had Hanging Tree dogs before. The ones we had were great catch dogs. One,you could hear him literally crash into cattle to get them turn. Then he would latch on a draw blood. We bred him with my BC X Kelpie and those pups were super tough too. The ones we had were very hard headed, a lot like training a heeler dog. That was my biggest complaint about the ones we had(but they all came from the same line of dogs)

cowgirl4753 03-28-2013 12:41 PM

My parents have one and he is amazing on cattle, he was a bit hard headed to start out too but he works awesome now and listens incredibly well no matter what's going on
Posted via Mobile Device

Critter sitter 03-28-2013 12:47 PM

They are Very smart and yes hard headed... Need a job! they are great on cattle and sheep. Not so great and a city dog or even a a family pet unless they are working also. Not a great small kids dog.