The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Alfalfa a natural anti-inflammatory? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/alfalfa-natural-anti-inflammatory-163930/)

Mochachino 03-28-2013 01:09 PM

Alfalfa a natural anti-inflammatory?

I had my older QH on alfalfa cubes as I wanted him to get a bit of weight on. However he has arthritis in his hip and after having him on the cubes for about 1 1/2 -2 weeks there was increased and very noticeable pain in his hip. The only thing that changed over this time was adding the cubes. I took him off and it has improved. Now, talking to someone today and checking out alfalfa on line, I was told and have read that it is a natural anti-inflammatory. I'm not going to put him back on it as I have adjusted his diet in a different way, but I was a little confused as to why it inflamed his arthritis to the point he would drop his hip when I was grooming him even. Anyone had any experience like this?

tinyliny 03-28-2013 01:25 PM

Anti-inflammatory? or Inflammatory?

if your horse got worse AFTER eating the alfalfa cubes, then that might indicate that they are INFLAMMATORY agents, not "anti-inflammatory" as you stated.

Mochachino 03-28-2013 03:37 PM

Yeah that's what I thought, but when I was speaking with an equine nutritionist and looking on line, but he and the internet said it was an anti-inflammatory. But I do believe it made it worse. Anyway he is off it now and trying a change in his diet to get some weight on.

loosie 03-31-2013 01:48 AM

Never heard of that, but I know that magnesium has anti-inflammatory properties(& horses are frequently deficient in it), and alfalfa is high in calcium, which can upset the Mg balance, particularly if it wasn't high enough anyway. Google 'magnesium for horses' - from what I've been learning, it sounds like your experience has added one more eg & perhaps the nutritionist had it around the wrong way.

loosie 03-31-2013 01:54 AM

Just googled it, didn't look at any article indepth, but it seems it's the alfalfa sprouts particularly, & ethyl-somethingorother that's in them that is claimed to have a number of wonder qualities, including anti-inflammatory.

Mochachino 03-31-2013 02:16 AM

Yeah that's what I had found too. I want to feed it as I think it will help him with his weight, but found that it flared his arthritis too much...:-(

loosie 03-31-2013 02:54 AM

You could add a bit of beet pulp, copra or rice bran to his feed for weight gain without too much extra calcium. Rice bran is also low Ca & reasonable Mg, & I'd consider feeding extra Mg too.

Mochachino 03-31-2013 12:50 PM

He's on beet pulp but I'm going to pick up some rice bran today.