The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Considering selling Rumor :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/considering-selling-rumor-164018/)

CLaPorte432 03-28-2013 04:17 PM

Considering selling Rumor :(
 
893 Attachment(s)
Rumor was everything that I was looking for in an upcoming barrel horse. Great conformation, impeccable pedigree, just a gorgeous animal.

Then she was injured while at my trainers. After a 2 month battle to get her healthy, and then 6 months of pasture rest to heal, I was finally able to ride her. Once. Before she got injured again earlier this week. Either an abscess or pulled muscle. Regardless, she is limping...Again.

I still need to get XRays done the first week of April to determine the amount of damage done to the injured hock. Maybe it's fully recovered, maybe not. I'll find out soon.

But, If she is not able to be competitive and only used as a trail horse, then I seriously need to consider parting with her. If I had an enormous amount of money and land to keep her, I certainly would. But unfortunately, I don't.

I can't constantly have the same horse injured over and over again. It's not smart economically.

She has the pedigree and conformation to be a tremendous, money earning broodmare. But I don't have the desire to breed her numerous times, nor the funds. And I certainly don't have the heart to part with a foal from her. So then I'd just be adding to my personal horse population. LoL.

What do you do when the horse of your dreams is not physically able to do what you want to do? :-(

Maple 03-28-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 2057370)
R
What do you do when the horse of your dreams is not physically able to do what you want to do? :-(

Unless I had a money tree outside, I'd sell. I'd rather sell a horse to be useful and happy elsewhere than hold onto it and have it being wasted. Saying that, I feel you may be jumping the gun a bit though, diagnose the lameness and then go from there - there isn't much point getting too worked up about what to do with her until you have an answer to the problem.

Hope you get the answers soon and you can figure out what will work best for you.

I had a gelding a few years ago, he loved jumping... I don't. It broke my heart to do it, but I sold him onto another girl who loved jumping as well. He was wasted as a pleasure horse, and I felt better letting him do what he enjoyed.

CCH 03-28-2013 05:58 PM

The extensor muscles of her gaskin pretty weak in this photo. She may need some more specific rehab type work. Is she normally camped out behind? If so, that will put a fair amount of stress on her hocks and stifle. Doesn't mean she couldn't be a great speed horse, it just means you need to compensate in training and management.

I think a reasonable effort to determine the cause of her issues should be made whether you decide to sell her or not. Digital radiographs are definitely a good start.

Wallaby 03-28-2013 06:25 PM

My Lacey girl is nowhere near able to perform like I would wish. I would love to be able to show and do all that, but she just doesn't have the mind or the training to do well in a show environment. Her mind could be compensated for (she either does really well or just cracks under pressure - no way to tell until you're there, putting pressure on her) but at her age, the training she would need to get around her mind is not something I think she'd be capable of enduring.
Not to mention her sight issues, etc.
But she is my dream+heart horse so, for her sake, I've significantly changed my goals. We used to trail ride (which she LOVES and which her "take no bs" mind is perfect for!) until she injured herself. Now, after 6 months off, I'm starting to fit her up a bit and I hope to be back out on the trails, lightly, this summer. One day I would like to do some showing, maybe do a few LDRs (thanks to Lacey, I've learned that I really like trail rides, slow and fast, with a good partner!), and try out those things I wish for. But for now, Lacey is my girl and her limits are my limits.


However, Lacey is much older than Rumor and Lacey doesn't have a whole lot of real-world "worth" when you combine her "special needs" and age. Lacey basically needs her owner to be someone who doesn't need a whole lot from her, aside from love and companionship. Rumor, on the other hand, has a long life ahead of her, probably fewer sass-tastic needs :lol:, and a high value even as a "pasture pet"/broodmare.
If I owned Rumor and had your goals, I think I would be considering the same things you are.
If she's your "heart horse" and you can't imagine her not being in your pasture. I would seriously hesitate about advising you to sell her though!

Personally, I had to choose between Lacey and a gelding I adored when I got Lacey. He was part of a rental string that I worked with for a few years. I had the choice of letting Lacey take his place on the string and bringing him home, or leaving him on the string and taking Lacey. I obviously chose Lacey but to this day, I wish I had had the option of taking both. After that summer I never saw him again and to this day, my mind is haunted with what might have happened to him. Other horses I've bonded with I've been able to let go of, but not that little guy. It's almost been 5 years since I last saw him and I'm still not over it. I love Lacey to death and I can't imagine being without her but that does not make it any easier.
All I'm saying is that I hope that Rumor isn't the one who's going to haunt your mind for years.

This is sort of spitballing, and might be terrible morally/emotionally, but have you considered breeding her once, keeping the resulting foal, and then selling her once the foal is weaned? That way she would be a more proven broodmare (she would be a maiden right now, right?), you'd have a Rumor-baby with potentially similar skills to Rumor, and she could have a life suited her her particular capabilities... But maybe that would make it even harder to part with her...


:hug:

Chevaux 03-28-2013 07:15 PM

I don't know what the original injury was, CLaPorte, but if it is related to joints, tendons and/or ligaments those things can take ages to heal; six months can be nothing - I've seen it take a year.

I think it was CCH who mentioned this but I also see some things in her back half that could be problematic to a career of fast moves and turns. Other than that, I think she's put together well and would make an excellent pleasure or trail horse.

I'm probably not much help for your current situation as I seem to always adjust my wants to suit my horses' abilities. So, if it was me I'd be doing trail riding (which is my favourite anyways) and not barrels anymore. If you really want to compete, you may have to make that hard, unpleasant decision and search out another performer. The only suggestion that I could offer is there an opportunity to lease her out for a pleasure horse rather than sell her?

CLaPorte432 03-28-2013 07:17 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CCH (Post 2058370)
The extensor muscles of her gaskin pretty weak in this photo. She may need some more specific rehab type work. Is she normally camped out behind? If so, that will put a fair amount of stress on her hocks and stifle. Doesn't mean she couldn't be a great speed horse, it just means you need to compensate in training and management.

I think a reasonable effort to determine the cause of her issues should be made whether you decide to sell her or not. Digital radiographs are definitely a good start.

Regardless if I do keep her, or decide to sell her, she is definitely going to get all the vet work that she needs. I would not sell her without including all her vet information and xrays to the buyer. I'm certainly not the type of person that is going to pawn my problems off on someone else. Her potential buyer would be well informed of what they are getting into with her.

Especially with her limping now, she wont be placed up for sale...Which she has a nice lump on her chest, so...She must have got kicked is my guess. But, she is walking better today then the past 2 days. So there is improvement.

My vet says she'll definitely be sound for trail riding. But may never be what I want her to be competitively.

I wouldn't say she is camped out...I'd say her normal stance is "correct" according to this diagram. But she never stands square! LoL. You should have seen my mom and I trying to get pictures to update her AQHA photo. OMG! :shock: Even in the photo of her tied to the trailer, she looks sickle-hocked. And she certainly is not!
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~schmisp/an...e-rear-leg.jpg

CLaPorte432 03-28-2013 07:24 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Quote:

This is sort of spitballing, and might be terrible morally/emotionally, but have you considered breeding her once, keeping the resulting foal, and then selling her once the foal is weaned? That way she would be a more proven broodmare (she would be a maiden right now, right?), you'd have a Rumor-baby with potentially similar skills to Rumor, and she could have a life suited her her particular capabilities... But maybe that would make it even harder to part with her...
I have absolutely given this thought. I have the stallion picked out and everything, LoL. It's just a matter of putting $2000 into the breeding that may or may not turn out to be what I'm wanting. Especially when I can purchase something already broke, I know what it looks like and athletic ability it has.

I have a very hard time parting with my animals. Because once they are gone, you have no control over their care, owner or what they do. Just because I don't have the heart to force her to run doesn't mean her potential owner wont see her pedigree and start running her and have her completely breakdown...Then put down.

A brood-lease may be a very good option! I honestly did not think of that!

So many hard decisions. I just hope that her XRays come back good and I'm worrying over nothing. So many what-ifs!

Maybe I can just sneak another horse onto the property and not have anyone notice...? :lol:

Chevaux 03-28-2013 07:27 PM

I don't know what the original injury was, CLaPorte, but if it is related to joints, tendons and/or ligaments those things can take ages to heal; six months can be nothing - I've seen it take a year. Although it may be too soon to tell but given the current facts, this may well be something that will continue to be problematic to a career of fast moves and power turns.


I'm probably not much help for your current situation as I seem to always adjust my wants to suit my horses' abilities. So, if it was me I'd be doing trail riding (which is my favourite anyways) and not barrels anymore. If you really want to compete, you may have to make that hard, unpleasant decision and search out another performer. The only suggestion that I could offer is there an opportunity to lease her out for a pleasure horse rather than sell her? She's a good looking horse and I think you would have a lot of interest in her that way. Either way, best of luck with her.


CLaPorte432 03-28-2013 07:33 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevaux (Post 2059146)
I don't know what the original injury was, CLaPorte, but if it is related to joints, tendons and/or ligaments those things can take ages to heal; six months can be nothing - I've seen it take a year.

She was out to pasture at the trainer's. Trainer went to round her up and she was 3-legged lame. Our best guess is she was kicked right in the inside of her hock. 3 days later when I brought her home, her leg swelled up to 4 times normal side. She contracted a bacterial infection, that developed into cellulitis. Then the infection got into the joint, and ultimately a part of her bone was deteriorated due to the infection. *Whew!*

She had 6 days of Penicillin and Gentimicin IM injections. 5 days of stall rest when she was unable to place weight on her leg at all. Then 4 weeks of SMZ pills. 2 joint flushes with Gent. Multiple XRays. Then 6 months of pasture rest to recover. She no longer has any limp on her hindend. Very proud of that.

She currently is on Corti-Flex w/ HA, MSM, Pentosan IM Injections and gets Back On Track Hock Wraps placed on daily. :shock:

CCH 03-28-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 2059362)
She was out to pasture at the trainer's. Trainer went to round her up and she was 3-legged lame. Our best guess is she was kicked right in the inside of her hock. 3 days later when I brought her home, her leg swelled up to 4 times normal side. She contracted a bacterial infection, that developed into cellulitis. Then the infection got into the joint, and ultimately a part of her bone was deteriorated due to the infection. *Whew!*

She had 6 days of Penicillin and Gentimicin IM injections. 5 days of stall rest when she was unable to place weight on her leg at all. Then 4 weeks of SMZ pills. 2 joint flushes with Gent. Multiple XRays. Then 6 months of pasture rest to recover. She no longer has any limp on her hindend. Very proud of that.

She currently is on Corti-Flex w/ HA, MSM, Pentosan IM Injections and gets Back On Track Hock Wraps placed on daily. :shock:

That sounds like it was pretty serious. 6 months may not have been long enough rest time to start back under saddle (*for her* as an individual). Generally not standing square of her own will might be an indicator that she is masking a small amount of pain or that she has just gained weird muscle memory for some reason. Though some horses can be completely uncooperative to take photos of when they know you are trying to get the picture.

I would definitely look into some rehab exercises from the ground. Forced stretches, bungees, walking/trotting over ground poles. I personally would just about die for have pool access for my ponies. If you are anywhere near a facility that has it, you should try it. With the injury directly to the joint, I would imagine she really should be getting joint injections at least 1x year now in addition to your Pentosan and supplements.

Also with injury to one leg, the other is going to compensate, so you have to rehab that too.

With selling, even with a perfectly sound horse, there are no forever guarantees to a buyer. All you need to do as a responsible seller (if that is what you decide) is tell the buyer she has had a previous injury treated by a vet which may result in none or unknown future/lasting effects and recommend a pre-purchase. Put language addressing it on the bill of sale and you're golden.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0