The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Help again guys!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/help-again-guys-164034/)

ndistler 03-28-2013 05:57 PM

Help again guys!?

Ok, same gelding, training is going great, but I am wondering if he is getting too much grain. He is high energy, and if he gets a day off he's a nut case the next few days. My instructor told everyone in class to make sure their colt gets a full scoop of grain which is 4quarts, of nutrena safe choice performance grain. He's completely fine when he's on a half scoop of grain. Just when he wanted us to up grain, we started having issues. Do you think he's getting too much grain.. He's also got free choice grass/alf mixed hay.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 03-28-2013 06:10 PM

Why did your instructor give such general directions? Chances are what works for one won't work for another- and if he was fine on less you may need to cut back or change grains. I'll let someone else with experience with younger horses add some advice... How old is he?
Posted via Mobile Device

ndistler 03-28-2013 06:17 PM

Hes 4, and he's the kind of person who thinks just cuz it works for his horse it must work for every horse. I already do not get along with this instructor because I do not agree with his method or his way of thinking but its a mandatory class. , so wanted to make sure I'm not the only one who thinks like this before I bumped him back to a half scoop. I've already been told to not follow his method by multiple other trainers
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 03-28-2013 06:58 PM

Go back to what works for you, especially if other pros have suggested it.
Posted via Mobile Device

ndistler 03-28-2013 07:38 PM

Ok thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thunderspark 03-29-2013 01:20 AM

I don't even give our horses grain, the only time they might get a small amount is if we were doing lots of riding and put on lots of miles. I would do what you think is best for your horse.....

AlexS 03-29-2013 02:45 AM

Who owns the horse? If I did not give my horse grain AC would be called, heck with grain it's a battle. He might well die.

I assume your instructor is at a college or riding school. As they know the horse, and you don't, ask.

Just plain cutting back grain can be horrible advise, it depends on the horse.

ndistler 03-29-2013 11:12 AM

Thanks thundsrspark, and I own the horse and yes he is instructor at a college, he's the kind who won't explain anything to us, just tells us to do it. I know this horse way better than my instructor does, as he is mine and I've had him since December. And see he's not skinny, he's at perfect body condition score, and a half scoop gives him all he needs energy wise, since he is naturally high energy.
Posted via Mobile Device