The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Need help with breaking my horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/need-help-breaking-my-horse-16404/)

Rollyourownman 10-22-2008 03:08 PM

Need help with breaking my horse

I am very new to this and i have not got the money to hire someone to break my horse for me i have alot of patience but have no clue on how to break my horse so i can get the saddle on her. i can get on her and ride bareback but when she see's the saddle she freaks out what can i do?:???:

aappyfan1 10-22-2008 03:16 PM

Well this forum is a great place to start. Always good information from some very knowlegable people. Another thing to do is check out your local library and see if they have any books or training videos Because that helps alot too. I just started training my gelding this summer and he is coming along ok, but it takes alot of commitment on your part to follow through as they are always going to be setbacks etc..

servinator 10-22-2008 03:36 PM

There is a lot of great material out there, but one thing you could start with is to slowly introduce her to the tack, set it on the ground walk her past it, etc. when she isn't spooky about being around it, pick it up and bring it to her, let her smell it, see it up close. When she's okay with that, rub the saddle pad on her back, etc....I'm sure you get the picture.

Angel_Leaguer 10-22-2008 03:38 PM

How much ground work have you done with her? A good foundation between you and your horse always starts on the ground.

With the saddle thing just take your time. Let the horse smell it so it knows what the thing is (it can be very scary..lol)

Saddling Your Horse What You Should Know - Associated Content

here is a decent article explaining what to do...

Hope it helps and good luck!!!

carriedenaee 10-22-2008 03:48 PM

I agree with everyone above... a saddle and pad are a scary thing...so lots of smelling and reassurance and you would be surprised at how quickly your horse will come to accept it...

I have been lucky so far most of the young ones i have introduced to tack have accepted it pretty fast...my only problem is that darn bridle!!

plus the fact i have little patience left after dealing with 5 kids......

Rollyourownman 10-22-2008 05:01 PM

Thanks for all the help ill try it and let ya'll know how it goes:)

Midwest Paint 10-24-2008 05:28 AM

Definately get some litature on breaking and ground training!

That is the first and foremost important thing. I love seeing people who commit to self accomplishments of training and breaking! I have nothing against commercial trainers as they are important, but if you are confident and determined to do it yourself, and are realistic about it.. It is a good option!

The ground work is the most important key! You have to establish good bounderies and methods in training. Training your horse on each step of the process to saddle work is super important, to provide a "sound" riding horse later on! Get some litature on it! Once you have worked with your horse on the ground work, and its time for stepping up to saddle work..

A key I use.. Start doing more ground work with the saddle in your work area. The more your horse sees and smells the saddle, the better it will be and get your horse over being afraid. Let the horse check out the saddle several times before trying to mount it on his/her back. I will use a saddle in the round pen on the ground for 3-4 weeks prior to mounting it on mine. We work on our ground techniques with it there, and check it out each day.

Start with your saddle pad first to go on! Let him/her sniff it, introduce it, start rubbing in on their legs, back, face, head.. all over! Slap it several times in a rythem on them, and their back. They will desensatize to the pad, which will help with throwing the saddle. Be consistant! Take your time with each step.. The horse will appreciate it much more and be a lot more willing!

Joshie 10-24-2008 01:35 PM

Make some horsey friends. We've recently made friends with a horse trainer. He found a horse for us. Are you taking riding lessons? Is it possible for you to take lessons on your horse?

How old is your horse?

I'd also work at exposing your horse to scary things like logs, PVC piping, swim noodles, etc. This can help your horse so it doesn't spook as easily.