The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Owners - Rant (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/owners-rant-164050/)

BlueSpark 03-28-2013 06:20 PM

Owners - Rant

I will never train again for the public. Owners are often illogical, completely governed by emotion, and expect miracles over night. If the horse gets hurt, it must be the trainers fault. If 'sunshine' isnt broke enough for toddlers to learn on in 30 days, you havent done your job right. If bold, alpha personality, terribly spoiled 'princess' isnt perfectly trained for her mild mannered, quiet owner, you fail.

people often want to turn a horse that is totally, completely unsuited to them into the perfect horse magicaly. Cant all trainers change a horses personality radically?

many owners want to train their horse because they have very poor horsemanship skills and have badly spoiled them. then they are shocked when the horse reverts to its old self.

I have seen people that wanted an older, well broke, push button mount to do w/jog trails with buy a 2 year old morgan because she was beautiful, then nearly ruin her to try to turn her into something they want, that walks slowly and doesnt ever want to go fast.

anyone who is concidering sending a horse away, please be realistic about your horse, your own skills and what you expect.

ok rant over...

Muppetgirl 03-28-2013 06:25 PM

True, many owners are unrealistic HOWEVER a trainer who is worth his/her salt will be open, honest and frank with clients and potential clients.

I've seen a very good trainer turn away horses and be outright honest with owners.

It's a two way street. Clients don't expect miracles, trainers don't bite off more than you can chew;)

dlpark2 03-28-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 2058010)
I will never train again for the public. Owners are often illogical, completely governed by emotion, and expect miracles over night. If the horse gets hurt, it must be the trainers fault. If 'sunshine' isnt broke enough for toddlers to learn on in 30 days, you havent done your job right. If bold, alpha personality, terribly spoiled 'princess' isnt perfectly trained for her mild mannered, quiet owner, you fail.

people often want to turn a horse that is totally, completely unsuited to them into the perfect horse magicaly. Cant all trainers change a horses personality radically?

many owners want to train their horse because they have very poor horsemanship skills and have badly spoiled them. then they are shocked when the horse reverts to its old self.

I have seen people that wanted an older, well broke, push button mount to do w/jog trails with buy a 2 year old morgan because she was beautiful, then nearly ruin her to try to turn her into something they want, that walks slowly and doesnt ever want to go fast.

anyone who is concidering sending a horse away, please be realistic about your horse, your own skills and what you expect.

ok rant over...

Have you ever just stated the facts to the owners? When we hired our trainer to look at our horses and help us with the training, he flat out told us that we were looking at probably a years worth of work to get them to remotely where we wanted them and then an extreme amount of miles under saddle before he would consider them a well rounded safe horse. The problem I have found is that many new inexperienced horse owners watch videos and movies and want the horse that can do that. They don't realize how many hours, days, weeks, months and years it has taken the trainer to get the horse to do that. I am just happy with the breakthrough I had this morning that our abused rescue let me touch his face for over a minute without backing up and away.

BlueSpark 03-28-2013 06:38 PM

The last two I worked with I thought would be an easy case. Owner stated clearly that he just wanted miles put on young, already started horses. He expected them to have 30 days of trail experience with lots of walk/trot, started on neck reining. I had them neck reining, w/t/c, trails without a problem, steep hills, mud, they doubled, you could pony them or pony off them, bareback riding. Stood quietly tied.

Turns out what he hadn't mentioned was a) he spoils his horses and won't admit it's him causing the problem and b) he wanted a horse that only walked(and not too fast), and acted like a 20 year old school master, despite him insisting that he knew how to handle a green horse and he had realistic expectations. After going back and helping him work with his horses multiple times I told him that he needed to invest in a well broke, laid back beginner safe mount.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 03-28-2013 07:22 PM

I too made the same mistake but learned early on to train the owner and the horse together.

Ian McDonald 03-28-2013 07:55 PM

LOL yeah, I've said 'never again' myself more than once. Horses are like the mob though. I keep TRYING to GET OUT, and they keep PULLING ME BACK IN! ;]

Cherie 03-28-2013 07:57 PM

Well ---- I trained for the public 30 of the last 50 years. I started 40 - 50 head a year (from 2 - 8 years old) and took in 20 or more spoiled horses every year. I worked 10 head most days.

I had very few problems with horses or owners. As I got a better reputation, I had a waiting list and I started taking horses for a 2 month minimum -- no more '30 day wonders'. Then, I went to a 90 day minimum and finally just took horses that were going to be prepared to show and kept them and their owners 'tuned up'. I would not take horses for people I did not know unless they were not willing to come and ride the horse before they picked the horse up.

I always called owners after I had worked a horse a week or so and could tell them what they had and if it was suitable for what they needed -- not wanted. I sent several horses home each year because I would not contribute to the owners' 'death wish'. By being totally honest and 'up front', I ended up with many life-long friendships, sold a lot of horses that people did not need and found and or trained suitable horses for many people.

If you train horses for show, you ave to have good enough stock and train well enough to win or at least make a good showing. If you train recreational pleasure horses, you have to be able to train really solid horses that do not need to be longed or worked before being ridden.

If you are really good at training recreational horses, you can make more money buying spoiled or green horses, training them and reselling them. That is why I quit training for the public. I also quit standing stallions, so I just trained horses I owned. I would still be doing it if it were not for serious health issues.

You have to like people and their kids; you have to be able to give lessons and teach people how to ride their own horses; you have to give people their money's worth.

I have not trained for the public now for 20 years and I still get calls or have people stop to ask if I would just take their horse for a little while or would I recommend someone that trained like I did. I wish I could.

nikelodeon79 03-28-2013 08:00 PM

I think that's the reason my trainer prefers her clients to be there and participate with the training session. Personally I feel like I'm getting double for my money: she's training me and my horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

LynnF 03-28-2013 09:55 PM

I find that a lot of people just don't understand how much time goes into making a quiet, safe horse. I am always up front and honest when I take a horse for somebody. I will work with it for a week or so and call and give them an update. If the horse is particularly difficult I will let them know then so they aren't set up for disappointment at the end of the 30 days (or however long I have the horse). If I don't think I can accomplish what the owner wants in the time frame I am given I tell them that and give them the option to go elsewhere or leave them with me for longer.
People need to learn that trainers are not miracle workers and that some horses take longer than others. Anybody who expects a quiet beginner safe horse in 30 days needs a serious reality check and I am not afraid to provide it!

Chiilaa 03-28-2013 10:51 PM

Well I sure hope that no one you ever trained for is on this forum. Because I know that I, as an owner, would be pretty disappointed by a trainer who is so unprofessional as to complain about their clients (who pay their bills) on such a public forum. Just my two cents.