The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No more Dodgeball? Seriously?

3K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  Muppetgirl 
#1 ·
#2 ·
They need to introduce a little more rugby!

A school in Canada here took ALL the balls away from the kids during recess time because they were afraid of injuries......are they trying to save money on band aids? I do believe there was an outcry and the balls were returned....

Seems like everything is lacking balls......(no pun intended:wink:)

#5 ·
Rugby for life! Kids need to play more rugby. :twisted:

Seriously though, I'm surprised it hasn't caught on in a place where we love violence.

As I kid growing up I'm pretty sure I would have dropped to my knees and thanked the heavens! I was always targeted in school, especially in gym, for being over weight. Very embarrassing as a child I must say.

Though I am in no way, shape, or form for promoting this "everybody wins because it boosts self esteem" attitude because guess what life is full of losers!. There is a fine line between what is humiliating and detrimental to a child and what will give them the drive to push themselves to be better.

#6 ·
I have mixed opinions on it. I was a target way too often and ended up with more blows to the face - fat lips, black eyes and bloody noses- than I can count. I'm all for sports, but a when it isn't supervised properly dodge ball is one of the ones I would love to see eliminated. It's easier for kids to turn gym class into a weapon with dodge ball than it is with other games. Accidents aren't as easily distinguished from child malice.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
I was too, but I grew up just fine. I think we are raising a bunch of spineless wimps. No more "winners and losers"-now everyone wins in kids sports. I think it all adds up to coddling them a bit too much. Life has winners and losers. Life hands you blows from "tough guys".

#8 ·
Amen! It absolutely disgusts me that my generation is extremely guilty of creating a big bunch of spoiled, me me me me me entitled brats.

DD plays soccer and her team busted butt at practice last season and really learned a lot. They had a stellar season and were league winners. Even though they were given awards for first place so were the other teams. They got medals just the same. It drives me batty. Here's your award for showing up, way to go! Sorry to say it but life doesn't work that way. You aren't going to get a promotion at work just because you showed up. There was discussion to change that in the league but there were far more parents that pulled the "but it's not fair" card than those with common sense.

I should probably stop now. :lol:

#10 ·
Isn't that the truth... My husband's son got this lovely punch to the face.

He's 18 years old, lived at home, didn't have a job and only held one for a month before he walked out because they kept asking "too much of him." Please... It's a JOB, not a stroll in the park.

Coddling hits the nail on the head. I loved dodgeball, mostly because I ended up being one of the last few left. Not because I was good, but I was observant and dipped, dodged, and ducked more than most!! :lol:

Reactions: franknbeans
#11 ·
I think there's a difference between sports like dodgeball and teaching kids the difference between winning and losing, working hard and slacking off, etc. my personal experience speaks to the fact that kids used gym class as a way to physically hurt me, yes it carried over into the rest of my life, and no it wasn't "just" dodge ball, but YES I was affected by it. I am ALL for team sports, winning and losing, not 'coddling' children, but I, personally, do see a difference between that and a sport like dodge ball. I don't know, it's just something that has never sat well with me- and I do think they're two completely different issues. Yes I think kids are being 'coddled' too much, given too many chances, etc. but I don't think they are DIRECTLY related.

#12 · (Edited)
I'm with the other posters who mentioned that games like dodgeball were used by tormentors as an excuse to pick on "the lame kids".

I was that kid too. I had multiple instances where I would show up to school one day, thinking I had friends, and discover that sometime overnight my "friends" had decided that they hated me. I was never expecting it and these kids made sure I knew they hated me during PE. I was the "target" during games like dodgeball and the PE teacher I had during that time saw what was going on, that I was being exclusively targeted, but did nothing because I "needed to grow a thicker skin." Mind you, I never cried at school or was a wimp about it, I just took it - did nothing to show that I "needed" a thicker skin, but this PE teacher was pretty sure I needed one because the other kids hated me.
This happened over and over again because, I guess I wasn't so bright, I kept going back to those kids whenever they decided to re-accept me.
The whole time this was going on, I was also experiencing some major, what I've come to realize now was, emotional abuse from my parents that already was telling my brain that I was the worst.
The pain from those experiences is still with me and it does color my everyday life. I try to be aware of my own issues and I like to think that I'm tough about it, but bullying like that is not something you just "get over".

Anyway, I certainly don't think everyone should win or that kids should be allowed to be "wimps", like so many today are, but I do think games like dodgeball could have more everyone-friendly options. Everyone winning would not be the goal, the goal would be to remove the chance to single one kid out and hurt them.

#13 ·
I don't find this surprising at all. The first time I took my daughter to a camp at a young age - they asked the usual questions, you know - about illness, prescription drugs, etc.,. My daughter had no medical concerns, no prescriptions. It appeared she was the only one. I was shocked that every parent had their kid on at least one form of prescription dope or another. I mean, all of them??? No doubt they were mostly for some non-existant "attention deficit disorder" type "needs". Kids are kids, they have energy to burn, if you do not let them burn it in sports or by being kids...ya have no choice but to drug 'em. But, WHAT parent would go along with it???

#15 · (Edited)
I'm all for eliminating dodgeball. I fail to comprehend what valuable skills are learned in a game that consists of nothing but hurling balls at people.

There are plenty of sports out there that promote teamwork, playing fairly and learning that at the end of the day, not everyone is #1. I think that such a sport would be a much better choice than one that has an extremely high potential for undeserved injuries and serves to teach absolutely zero skills other than how to duck when an object is careening toward you.

I agree that "everyone wins" is really pathetic. I went to the absolute LAMEST awards ceremony tonight. The kids inhaled pizza and then each one was given a "participation medal". Seriously?? I drove THIRTY MINUTES each way for THAT!? 50% or more of the kids already had some variety of trophy or medal from the various wrestling meets the team had attended, the rest were either downright horrible (due to lack of effort and participation at practice. I literally "forbid" my child from wrestling several kids who came to practice to fool around, not actually work) or didn't bother to go to a single meet! There was a distinct correlation between those who spent practice fooling around and those who failed to attend any meets. We don't need participation medals.... just another hunk o junk for me to hang up and dust. I think the team pictures were more than sufficient mementos of the team.

#16 ·
Dodgeball is less violent than football, basketball, or volleyball. Sure I got hit with plenty of dodgeballs, but I also got trampled and broke my finger in basketball, completely threw off my knees in volleyball, and I got a lot more long term damage from THAT than I did dodgeball.

Oh and the fact that my back is probably going to pain me for the rest of my life from riding at seventeen is great too, right? Never had that from dodgeball.

Got slammed into the wall once during mat ball. Gonna eliminate that too?

Softball hit me in the face ones and I got a major black eye. Now you wanna talk about PAIN, talk about THAT!

If nothing can be learned from dodgeball, nothing can be learned from those either.

Either way, all of those are gonna teach you one thing: Do your hardest and you won't be in the firing zone!

I remember even being in elementary school, one kid punched another one. The kid got a bloody lip, no huge production, the little brat in question got sent to the principle and after that no problem. No lawsuit, no problem, never happened again but the kid with the smart mouth sure shut up fast.

What happens when you coddle people is they get confident. Real confident. Arrogant, spoiled, never learn to take a hit or grin and bear the pain because they've never felt it before. No one will know how to work. Sometimes those confident killers are a major blessing to everyone. Sobers you up pretty fast.

#17 ·
There is a difference between violent and physical. Yes things happen in other sports, injuries, etc. my 'beef' with dodgeball is not game itself (granted, the game of throwing balls at one another seems a bit... wonky to me) it's the way that it is harder to control than volleyball, basketball, etc. they're not comparable, in my opinion. Yes, you can get trampled or shoved etc. in other sports, however in dodgeball its very very easy to gang up with your teammates and pummel an individual kid without it seeming suspect.

I don't see the association between dodgeball and ableness in school and work. It isn't a 'structured' sport, and doesn't teach very much discipline. To me, of THIS particular sport, the cons outweigh the pros.

I agree with Delfina's post 100%. I just fail to see how dodgeball of all things provides the idea of structure / hard working.

#19 ·
Dodgeball isn't a sport, it's a game from gym class. There's no "tactics". You just throw the d*mn ball at someone on the other side.

I don't know why (ok, I do. But won't get into it here) this gets me so worked up. We can all compare 'I got picked on worse stories', but the truth is it made us who we are despite who had it the worst.

This whole, "every kid gets a medal, get upset another kid gave yours a hug, anything said/done to your kid that they didn't like makes you a bully" attitude people have these days irritates the H**L out of me.

If one of my kids came home bawling because all the other kids aimed at them in dodgeball, you know what i'd say?

Move faster
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
What if you kid came home bawling because they constantly pick her last. The other kids grown when she put/assigned to their team. Then the call him/her names like "slow sally" or "heifer" in stead of Heather. Then during the game (despite putting up a fair fight) she was targeted by just about everyone else on the team. She/he is targeted and struck out every single game, laughed at and mocked. Now he/she is starting to isolate and stops participating in actives.... You can see how this goes on and on...

There's a difference between giving kids an opportunity to thrive in an organized game where the agenda is to achieve a goal. It makes it hard to really single out one person in softball, swimming and volleyball. The objective of dodge ball is to just hurl balls at kids and it allows ample opportunity for kids to pick on, humiliate and embarrass another child.
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
What if you kid came home bawling because they constantly pick her last. The other kids grown when she put/assigned to their team. Then the call him/her names like "slow sally" or "heifer" in stead of Heather. Then during the game (despite putting up a fair fight) she was targeted by just about everyone else on the team. She/he is targeted and struck out every single game, laughed at and mocked. Now he/she is starting to isolate and stops participating in actives.... You can see how this goes on and on...

There's a difference between giving kids an opportunity to thrive in an organized game where the agenda is to achieve a goal. It makes it hard to really single out one person in softball, swimming and volleyball. The objective of dodge ball is to just hurl balls at kids and it allows ample opportunity for kids to pick on, humiliate and embarrass another child.
Posted via Mobile Device
My daughter HAS come home upset about being picked last, about being called names (anything from Ginormica to Fruit Loop). And this is what I tell her, "1. Are the people that say that to you your friends? Do they talk to you everyday, do they listen to what you have to say, are they your REAL friends, or just kids in your class? Your real friends know who you are, who cares what others say. You've said yourself that you're not good at (insert physical game), so what if you're picked last. You are extremely talented in (insert talents). Does that make you less of a person if you're picked last?

2. You are going to get called names, it's life. People will say things just to hurt you, but you know what? That just hurts them more. They are the ones that will be alone and won't have friends because who wants to be friends with someone like that?

I know it hurts, and you're upset, and you can cry on my shoulder all you want. But tell me, do you think you're Ginormica? Her usual response is "no, I like being tall". Do you think you're a fruit loop? Daughter: "kind of, but I like being silly. It makes my friends laugh, and that makes me happy."

What I am trying to teach her, is not to let bad things that happen to her DEFINE who SHE thinks SHE is. It's ok to be hurt by others opinions & actions, but that it's just that, THEIR opinions & actions.

So what if all the balls are thrown at her in dodgeball, if she lets it bother her, they are just going to keep doing it. If she brushes it off and doesn't give them the enjoyment of getting her all worked up, why would they keep doing it? Kids do things to get a reaction out of others, whatever that reaction may be. If they like the reaction, they keep doing it. If they don't they stop.

#21 ·
Sorry-I WAS that kid. It built character and back bone. Besides that-it is really rewarding to go back to the class reunion and see the class "stars" and best looking ones fat, bald alcoholics. I loved my 30 yr reunion. ;-)

The thing that has really brought bullying to the forefront is the internet. That has really changed it, and THAT is what needs to be dealt with. Not schoolyard games, IMO.

#24 ·
:lol: You are not alone. I made a few trips to the nurse's office for giving myself a bloody nose with a tetherball. I agree with the soccer, DD has played on a league since she was 3, she absolutely loves it but the first time she wasn't quick enough with her hands and took one hard to the face it was a bit unnerving. Ref stopped the game, went to her, she wiped her bloody nose on his shirt and went right back to the box - didn't let one past her after that. She's also taken one straight to the gut and had the wind knocked out of her. As a parent, it scares the snot out of me sometimes but we let it be her choice and she refuses to take herself out of the game. Makes me a bit proud of my roughy toughy farm girl.

I guess I don't see the big deal about dodge ball. It's a soft ball that gives. The teasing or being picked on should be dealt with by the teacher if kids are being singled out that badly. Dodgeball or no, the kids that are getting picked on would still get picked on, kids don't need a game to accomplish that.

The question of if it were your child, I feel much like busy, I'd tell mine to toughen up and defend herself. Chuck that ball back harder than it was thrown at you. Heck, I'd probably go buy a dodge ball and we'd be practicing. I'd gladly take the potshots and help my kiddo dial in her aim.

I wasn't one of the popular kids in elem school either, I got made fun of big time (mostly because I refused to wear anything but my riding boots and wranglers) and to be honest, it made me stronger and even though it may have hurt then, it sure taught me that people are mean (even into adulthood) and that one has to rise above it, do for yourself and screw what others think about it.

#26 ·
Like i said-all three kids were goalies, and not always by choice in the beginning-Soccer and Hockey. They got pucks/balls chucked at them all the time. Made them tougher for sure, as well as quicker, and learn the hard way that words can sting(when they missed a save). I doubt any of them would take back the lessons learned.
Perhaps we need to make playing cards a sport. That seem safe enough?

#30 ·
Perhaps we need to make playing cards a sport. That seem safe enough?
Maybe cup stacking? That one is pretty much a guaranteed injury free sport.

#28 ·
Hmm, when I was in school and played this the teachers picked the teams. I never took it personal because I was a large kid, I wasn't fast, but I sure as heck could catch and get out of the way of a dodgeball. Then again we did not have traditional dodgeball's, we had a vinyl "air ball" but had plenty of WHAM! When it hit you.

I always had a blast playing dodgeball and was never disheartened if I was chosen last (when there were times)

Funny thing was I ended up being the last one on my team against this fireball of a kid. I threw the ball, missed, I tucked tail and ran. Turned around just as he threw the ball and caught it. He was out. I kid you not, the room was dead quiet for five seconds before my team roared lol. You probably could've pushed the kid over with a piece of straw.

Coddling is what makes bullying so effective. I'm sure when I have a kid I'll be furious when it happens... But I never was really picked on as a kid, even as fluffy as I was. I was barely 5ft and 185lbs O_O. I believe to a certain extent your character dominates the image over your weight. If you go into this situation with "I'm too fat, they'll never pick me" Kind of attitude, you wear it on your sleeve and give them a target. I guess I was always a confident kid, not sure where it went because I'm stupid self-conscious now :P

I got teased more in baseball(only girl) than I did Dodgeball.

#29 ·
My daughter is not athletic by any stretch of the imagination. Not even remotely in the same universe!!! She knows that and is fine with that. She gets picked on because 90% of her class is super athletes.

BUT she also knows that what she lacks in athletic ability, she makes up 10 fold in artistic ability. THAT's who she really is, and she's PROUD of that!!!!

#32 ·
People are mean. Just wait until they get to college or the workplace. You will have bosses that are bullies and you should be able to stand up for yourself the first time it happens so you are not suffering every day with a bully boss.
You also have to learn to let what people say roll off your back. You can't let your high maintenance faculty member get under your skin. You have to be able to differentiate from a legitimate issue they have with you, and the personal issues the complaints may be coming from.

#33 ·
I think the problem is if you child was being bullied and the bully comes up and punches them is that ok? No. What dodge ball basically does is give kids projectiles, instead of fists, to swing at another kid. They put some rules on it and call it a sport.

No, this will not eliminate bullying. What it will eliminate is allowing kids an "ok" way to physically hurt eachother. I'm not talking about the opsy headshot, I'm talking about aggressive and purposeful violence towards one another.

There are plenty of other opportunities for kids to "learn to grow a back bone", I'd don't think being physically assaulted with rubber balls needs to be one of them. If its is maybe we should skip the middleman and just kids 30mins of gym time to just beat up on eachother.
Posted via Mobile Device

#35 ·
There will ALWAYS be bullies.....children need to learn to deal with them. I was bullied mercilessly as a child and it got even worse when I entered high school. I had a pack of eight girls tormenting me, do you know what I eventually did, I approached the ring leader In front of all of her friends and gave her a fat lip. None of her friends stepped into help her, and I was left alone after that.

I'm not advocating kids starts whacking each other, but if someone is threatening to beat me up you better believe I'm going to answer them. Sometimes bullies only understand their own language.

Better you learn stick up for yourself at an early age rather than depend on society, parents, school teachers to keep you safe. It just doesn't happen.

Dodgeball is nothing compared to a 16yr old holding a broken bottle under your chin.

#36 ·
The BEST part of dodgeball when you were ALWAYS the target....playing after a summer of unloading hay wagons while the other kids played at the pool & went on fancy vacations.

Ohhh the shear JOY, mwaaa haaa haaa:twisted::twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.