The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   No more Dodgeball? Seriously? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/no-more-dodgeball-seriously-164082/)

franknbeans 03-28-2013 06:19 PM

No more Dodgeball? Seriously?
 
Dodgeball eliminated at Windham, NH schools - Boston News, New England News, WHDH-TV 7NEWS WHDH.COM

That's next? My kids were all goalies and grew up being targets-they seem fine to me.

THis is getting ridiculous. The wussification of America.

Muppetgirl 03-28-2013 06:29 PM

They need to introduce a little more rugby!

A school in Canada here took ALL the balls away from the kids during recess time because they were afraid of injuries......are they trying to save money on band aids? I do believe there was an outcry and the balls were returned....

Seems like everything is lacking balls......(no pun intended:wink:)

franknbeans 03-28-2013 06:32 PM

Perhaps there will be a future parallel between the "butterflies and rainbow farts" horsey set and the parents who agree with this crap. ;-)

Muppetgirl 03-28-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 2058666)
Perhaps there will be a future parallel between the "butterflies and rainbow farts" horsey set and the parents who agree with this crap. ;-)

It's highly likely!

SlideStop 03-28-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 2058618)
They need to introduce a little more rugby!

A school in Canada here took ALL the balls away from the kids during recess time because they were afraid of injuries......are they trying to save money on band aids? I do believe there was an outcry and the balls were returned....

Seems like everything is lacking balls......(no pun intended:wink:)

Rugby for life! Kids need to play more rugby. :twisted:

Seriously though, I'm surprised it hasn't caught on in a place where we love violence.

As I kid growing up I'm pretty sure I would have dropped to my knees and thanked the heavens! I was always targeted in school, especially in gym, for being over weight. Very embarrassing as a child I must say.

Though I am in no way, shape, or form for promoting this "everybody wins because it boosts self esteem" attitude because guess what life is full of losers!. There is a fine line between what is humiliating and detrimental to a child and what will give them the drive to push themselves to be better.

alexischristina 03-28-2013 07:49 PM

I have mixed opinions on it. I was a target way too often and ended up with more blows to the face - fat lips, black eyes and bloody noses- than I can count. I'm all for sports, but a when it isn't supervised properly dodge ball is one of the ones I would love to see eliminated. It's easier for kids to turn gym class into a weapon with dodge ball than it is with other games. Accidents aren't as easily distinguished from child malice.
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 03-28-2013 08:16 PM

I was too, but I grew up just fine. I think we are raising a bunch of spineless wimps. No more "winners and losers"-now everyone wins in kids sports. I think it all adds up to coddling them a bit too much. Life has winners and losers. Life hands you blows from "tough guys".

MHFoundation Quarters 03-28-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 2059746)
I was too, but I grew up just fine. I think we are raising a bunch of spineless wimps. No more "winners and losers"-now everyone wins in kids sports. I think it all adds up to coddling them a bit too much. Life has winners and losers. Life hands you blows from "tough guys".

Amen! It absolutely disgusts me that my generation is extremely guilty of creating a big bunch of spoiled, me me me me me entitled brats.

DD plays soccer and her team busted butt at practice last season and really learned a lot. They had a stellar season and were league winners. Even though they were given awards for first place so were the other teams. They got medals just the same. It drives me batty. Here's your award for showing up, way to go! Sorry to say it but life doesn't work that way. You aren't going to get a promotion at work just because you showed up. There was discussion to change that in the league but there were far more parents that pulled the "but it's not fair" card than those with common sense.

I should probably stop now. :lol:

franknbeans 03-28-2013 09:05 PM

Hate to say that these kids will be in for a rude awakening the first time someone tells them they didn;t get the job.......:-/

Hang on Fi 03-28-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 2060202)
Hate to say that these kids will be in for a rude awakening the first time someone tells them they didn;t get the job.......:-/

Isn't that the truth... My husband's son got this lovely punch to the face.

He's 18 years old, lived at home, didn't have a job and only held one for a month before he walked out because they kept asking "too much of him." Please... It's a JOB, not a stroll in the park.

Coddling hits the nail on the head. I loved dodgeball, mostly because I ended up being one of the last few left. Not because I was good, but I was observant and dipped, dodged, and ducked more than most!! :lol:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0