The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding two very different disciplines? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-two-very-different-disciplines-164130/)

BigBenLoverforLife 03-28-2013 08:24 PM

Riding two very different disciplines?

Hello! My horse does barrels and poles, but I feel sometime no matter what I do he gets burned out on the same things. I rarely run the pattern but he gets bored with arena work . I jumped for 5 years before I bought him and thought of getting back into it. I have noticed recently his frame has been slipping, and being a retired reiner I want him to still keep that "frame" and not always wanting to just flat out run. Would this be okay for him to do? He is in amazing shape, so I dont have to worry about him with jumping! Thanks..

toto 03-28-2013 08:36 PM

I dont see why not. I like to jump with all my horses no matter the discipline-- jumping is just awesome! :D

BarrelRacer23 03-29-2013 11:41 AM

There's nothing wrong with changing things up some. My past barrel horses jumped and did hunt seat classes at local shows and fair. I keep all my horses trained to work in a frame, even if they are barrel horses and will probably never see a hunt seat class or a jump. I just like my horses able to be collected. A horse can easily do both, I just always remembered that first and fore most they were my barrel horses not english horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 03-29-2013 11:52 AM

If he's getting bored with arena work, get him out of the arena and don't focus on anything discipline specific, just good riding - obviously don't let him be boss and decide what you are doing but take the pressure off a bit. Take him trail riding, kick him out to pasture to just be a horse for awhile. Being stalled and only doing arena work will make a horse sour in a hurry. Ben's too big of a sweetie to let him get sour.

BigBenLoverforLife 03-29-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 2064625)
If he's getting bored with arena work, get him out of the arena and don't focus on anything discipline specific, just good riding - obviously don't let him be boss and decide what you are doing but take the pressure off a bit. Take him trail riding, kick him out to pasture to just be a horse for awhile. Being stalled and only doing arena work will make a horse sour in a hurry. Ben's too big of a sweetie to let him get sour.

Thanks :) I just moved to a barn with a outdoor and he is loving it! We cant ride in the pastures though, horses go out at 5:00 am at and come in a 6 or 7 pm, 7 days a week. Trail riding isnt much of an option, that would require Lisa's truck and trailer, and another horse and rider!

I just found a saddle that fits me and Ben well so I think I am gonna buy it, he really loved jumping, and really loves barrels. :-)

MHFoundation Quarters 03-29-2013 08:27 PM

The turnout alone should help. That was pretty limited where he was before right? When things slow down up here, I'll see what we can do about getting extra horses and riders down there ;) How far of a drive is brown county from your new barn?

In the meantime, I'd just change it up working in the outdoor. Doesn't have to necessarily be switching disciplines but change up what you are working on frequently so he has to stay on his toes waiting for your direction and isn't anticipating what you are going to do. Avoid riding tons of circles. Maybe you could set up a trail course in the arena?

Or you could always send him up here to me, I'll take his cute butt riding in the woods behind my barn :D