The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Fixing a torn up small field... (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/fixing-torn-up-small-field-164178/)

Mochachino 03-28-2013 09:39 PM

Fixing a torn up small field...

Need some thoughts on something. Where my horses stalls are they can walk in and walk out to a small field. When I arrived at the property last summer I tried to keep this area clean of manure but it had been so turned up from horses walking on it when it was muddy it was too hard to even scoop. Anyway over the winter I tried to keep them off of it as much as possible and finally got an electric fence charger. It is really nice and drying out here right now but I want to fix the field and try to flatten it out as much as possible. It would be too large of an area to rake, so I was thinking of renting one of those heavy rollers that you can fill with water and push it over the field. Not sure if this will work but it won't make it any worse I suppose. I want to get it flattened out to the best I can and then throw some seed on it and keep horses off of it for a bit. Now I have the electric fence I can keep them off of it when it's wet so once I get it fixed it will be so much better. Any other suggestions.???

Wild Heart 03-28-2013 09:55 PM

I would try to get my hands on a harrow. One that you could easily pull behind a truck (if you have one) or a small tractor (also, if you have one).
It won't look pretty at first but just throw some seed down and keep it well watered especially if you live in a dry area.
Or, you could purchase a hardier grass seed (like Bermuda) which can withstand colder temperatures and drought.

Muppetgirl 03-28-2013 10:22 PM

If you compact the dirt with a roller the seed won't be able to root deep enough and you'll have no grass. Harrow it, seed it and stomp.

I always remember this when seeding grass:

Seed it, stomp it, soak it. :wink:

Mochachino 03-28-2013 10:46 PM

Ok I have a harrow on the property so will try that. Thanks!

Saddlebag 03-28-2013 10:59 PM

My quad pulls a single harrow. It helps level the rough spots. Because it scratches the surface of the soil it helps it dry out faster too. Go to your dump and look for an old box spring. Tie on a rope and this makes a great manure drag. In spring my pasture looks like it overwintered elephants but the box spring quickly scatters the manure. Done in the spring and the ground absorbs the trace nutrients.

backyardhorse 03-29-2013 08:37 PM

OOOOH, I never thought of using an old box spring! I have a length of old chain link fence that I have added a bar with 10 lag screws. I like the weight of the chain link, and it's easy to get around jumps, water tanks, etc., weighs less than 10 lbs.