The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Why does this saddle not fit me? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/why-does-saddle-not-fit-me-164194/)

MyBoyPuck 03-28-2013 09:45 PM

Why does this saddle not fit me?

The NEW Thorowgood T8 range of saddles that combinesreal leather and synthetic materials

Can someone please shed some light on this? Look at the GP high wither saddle in the top right and then look at the jump saddle on the bottom. I have long legs. For reasons I cannot figure out, my leg seems to fit well in the straighter flap GP saddle, but almost shoots over the flap of the more forward flap jump saddle. How can that be? Anyone understand the physics of saddle fit? I finally get my hands on that jump saddle after months of searching only to find it doesn't seem to fit me. By the time I locate the GP, the show season will be half over.

unclearthur 03-29-2013 04:31 AM

(i) Were the seat sizes of both saddles you tried the same?
(ii) Did you try them both sat on a stand and if so, were both placed level?
(iii) Is the jumping saddle the correct width and sitting perfectly level on the horse, static and ridden?

Unless you've got a really long femur, this sounds a lot like a saddle balance issue to me. Both tree and panel shapes differ for the two models you mention which means they wont fit the same way.

MyBoyPuck 03-29-2013 07:07 PM

I did not sit in either saddle on a static stand. Both were on my horse. Yes, they are both the same size. I've had the GP version for years. It fits both my and my horse like a glove. My problem with it is that I am finally starting to jump things bigger than twigs and the GP saddle is very deep and starting to interfere over bigger fences when I close my hip angle. I only tried to jump saddle since it's just that, a jump saddle. Seemed to make sense for jumping, but I guess not.

They are two very different saddles. The jump is a narrower twist. I definitely have less horse down there to wrap my legs around than I do in the GP version. I'm guessing it's that difference alone that is letting my legs work their way more forward and slipping over the flaps. I keep having to scooch back in it to sit in the deepest spot. Rather than play the ever annoying saddle fit game, I'm going to just go back to the GP version and deal with the deeper seat rather than ride in a saddle that I would probably never feel completely secure in.

unclearthur 03-30-2013 03:57 AM

If they're both the same width it still sounds like saddle balance. The high wither had a lot of panel, the jumping saddle less so (it's deliberately designed to be a lot neater). Even though your HW is older, and unless it's been looked at by a saddler the panels will have flattened, it'll still fit differently.

If you can I'd have it looked at by a fitter who knows what he/she is doing before you dismiss it entirely. If it is the balance its often quite difficult to decide where the problem lies without seeing rider on horse.

MyBoyPuck 03-30-2013 04:14 PM

Thanks for your input. I do agree it is most likely a saddle balance issue. I do like that the jump saddle is less bulky. I almost feel like I'm cheating when I show up at shows with a big clunky saddle that it almost impossible to come out of. I do have an appointment with a saddle fitter, so maybe I'll give the jump saddle one more try before I send it back.

NBEventer 03-30-2013 04:23 PM

The great thing about the T8 it is completely adjustable by a fitter. I would def have the fitter take a look at it and see what can be done.

unclearthur 03-30-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 2075849)
I almost feel like I'm cheating when I show up at shows with a big clunky saddle that it almost impossible to come out of.

Hah - I wouldn't. Spent enough time between saddle and ground to appreciate as much sticky as possible! :wink:

NBEventer 03-30-2013 04:33 PM

I actually prefer a deeper seat when getting to the bigger jumps lol. I feel much more secure. Like unclearthur i've spent way to much time between saddle and ground and very much appreciate the extra stick :lol:

MyBoyPuck 03-30-2013 04:45 PM

Yeah, my 46 year old butt appreciates being firmly planted in the saddle too! Crap, now you guys have me thinking I really should just abandon this jump saddle nonsense and get the old lady AP version and be done with it.

NBEventer 03-30-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 2076001)
Yeah, my 46 year old butt appreciates being firmly planted in the saddle too! Crap, now you guys have me thinking I really should just abandon this jump saddle nonsense and get the old lady AP version and be done with it.

If it helps any... this is the saddle my 28 year old butt is firmly planted in for eventing and higher level jumpers. I can't afford a fall with my health issues. So the more stick I have the better. Plus I used to school 4'9 in a close contact and I hated that I had no room for forgiveness. The deeper seat lets me stay where I need to be so I don't interfere with my horse.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...psaba4f562.jpg

HDR Fletcher. Its an eventing saddle and this is the first saddle I have been able to do two point trot in without my back, hips and knees screaming at me in years. I feel so secure when I am jumping in it as my mare has a big jump and tends to rush so it lets me sink in my two point to steady her stride.