The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   KBF99 Brushes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/kbf99-brushes-164393/)

tbcrazy 03-29-2013 07:40 AM

KBF99 Brushes

Anyone ever hear of these/used them? They are suppose to be anti-microbial and I'm curious to hear people's experience, if any. Thanks!

waresbear 03-31-2013 10:17 PM

No, but what good is anti-microbial? As soon as you brush the horse, it's got micros on it, so? And I sure would not trust it using it on a horse with say lice, then thinking it's anti-microbial powers will protect the next horse I use it on. Sounds like a money grab.

tbcrazy 03-31-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2088353)
No, but what good is anti-microbial? As soon as you brush the horse, it's got micros on it, so? And I sure would not trust it using it on a horse with say lice, then thinking it's anti-microbial powers will protect the next horse I use it on. Sounds like a money grab.

Yea, well I sure wouldn't rely on them as the only means of preventing stuff from spreading, that's for sure. I battle thrush pretty regularly where I live, and was just curious if anyone had any luck with them. I, too, am skeptical. Nothing replaces common sense and good hygiene to prevent disease/viruses/etc. I did cave and buy the $9 hoof brush, as a few people mentioned that they had good luck with the brush in addition to regular thrush treatment. I figured for $9 if it helps a little, great. If not, I can certainly get $9 worth of scrubbing done with it! They seem much more popular in the UK at this point.

waresbear 03-31-2013 10:52 PM

I have never used a brush on the sole of a horse's foot, then again in the 5 decades of owning, showing & training horses, I have never had a case of thrush. Knock on wood (*thumps head).

tbcrazy 03-31-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2088873)
I have never used a brush on the sole of a horse's foot, then again in the 5 decades of owning, showing & training horses, I have never had a case of thrush. Knock on wood (*thumps head).

I use a hard bristled brush to get extra dirt and stuff out, similar to some double sided hoofpicks, with a brush on one side... And lucky you not dealing with thrush! The brilliant person who built the barn where my horses are put the pastures on the lowest part of the property, and as it is we are only 15 inches above ground water, so we deal with a LOT of mud and stagnant water this time of year unfortunately. That being said, I am usually willing to take a chance on weird things if there is even the slightest possibility it will help, since it's an ongoing war haha.

waresbear 03-31-2013 11:03 PM

You know, I have hoof picks with brushes attached, I always thought those were for cleaning the outside of the hoof, lol. Doh!

tbcrazy 03-31-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2088977)
You know, I have hoof picks with brushes attached, I always thought those were for cleaning the outside of the hoof, lol. Doh!

I use them for both, haha. I really like them for getting the sole clean when I need to add something topical to treat the thrush... if I don't need to apply anything I only use it on the outside of the hoof too :) But sometimes the ones attached to the picks are a little wimpy and get worn out so I get some kitchen or potato scrubbers instead, and I like the biggest size better too

cakemom 03-31-2013 11:29 PM

I always brush the sole after I pick, it's a habit, I don't even think about it and didn't realize I did it till the daughter asked the other day why.
Posted via Mobile Device