The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Martingale or breastplate? Advice anyone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/martingale-breastplate-advice-anyone-164417/)

16HHPocketPony 03-29-2013 09:43 AM

Martingale or breastplate? Advice anyone?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi all! :-) This will be short and sweet since I just wrote out a 2 paragraph post and then accidentally went off of the page, silly me. :lol:

My horse Holly carries her head very high when being ridden and tosses her head when frustrated or when contact is applied.

My friend rode her yesterday (the first time I have ever seen her be ridden) and I never realized how high she carried her head/ how dangerous her "annoying habit" is as an out; she actually hit my friend with her head (she was extremely irritated at being asked to hold an outline)--not hard or enough to hurt her, but no matter how hard, it is not acceptable!!!!! Had I realized how serious the issue was, I would have had her on a martingale already.

My real question is:

I am not sure whether I should just purchase a basic standing martingale or go ahead and get a breastplate with a martingale attachment.

I intend to begin jumping as soon as we are past the basics, so I will likely be purchasing a breastplate anyway, and funds are tight so I do not want to spend a lot of money on a basic standing martingale that will be used for at most 2 months.

However, I do not want her to be uncomfortable. Will the breastplate be a big change for her? I have never had to use one before, so I am very new to this! I don't want to use unnecessary gear, but I also don't want to spend uneccesary extra money when I can purchase one item that fulfills both needs. :-P

Any input is super duper appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!! :D

unclearthur 03-29-2013 10:10 AM

I'd avoid a standing martingale. Try a running martingale, or a breastplate with running attachment. Although it acts on the mouth rather than nose it's much less restrictive for jumping, especially since the horse is a novice.

I have to say that head carriage looks like there just may be an underlying problem. Before you add any more tack, might I suggest you have teeth and feet checked, and bit and saddle checked for fit. It's counterproductive adding equipment to improve control if the horse throws its head around because it's uncomfortable somewhere :)

16HHPocketPony 03-29-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclearthur (Post 2064209)
I'd avoid a standing martingale. Try a running martingale, or a breastplate with running attachment. Although it acts on the mouth rather than nose it's much less restrictive for jumping, especially since the horse is a novice.

I have to say that head carriage looks like there just may be an underlying problem. Before you add any more tack, might I suggest you have teeth and feet checked, and bit and saddle checked for fit. It's counterproductive adding equipment to improve control if the horse throws its head around because it's uncomfortable somewhere :)

Thanks for the reply! This is not her typical carriage, just a photo of her in the act of tossing her head. She really only carries her head in such a manner when she is excited or upset at contact. You are right, I will get her mouth checked out. The contact could be causing her pain; though I don't think that's the case as she has been checked out recently. I honestly think she is just obnoxious as she hasn't expressed any other signs of pain or discomfort :-P

poppy1356 03-29-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16HHPocketPony (Post 2064305)
Thanks for the reply! This is not her typical carriage, just a photo of her in the act of tossing her head. She really only carries her head in such a manner when she is excited or upset at contact. You are right, I will get her mouth checked out. The contact could be causing her pain; though I don't think that's the case as she has been checked out recently. I honestly think she is just obnoxious as she hasn't expressed any other signs of pain or discomfort :-P

Do you use a single jointed snaffle? If she only does it when contact is applied it very well could be the bit. Maybe try a double joint or mullen mouth.

16HHPocketPony 03-29-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 2064481)
Do you use a single jointed snaffle? If she only does it when contact is applied it very well could be the bit. Maybe try a double joint or mullen mouth.

Great idea. The woman who owned her before me used a french link. I will definitely try switching her back! I didn't even think about that. Thank you! :-)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0