The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   diffrent grain... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/diffrent-grain-16442/)

KANSAS_TWISTER 10-23-2008 04:18 AM

diffrent grain...

had a quick question about grain, when i lived in canada i found that the grain had sticky feeling to it...(molasses) and was bagged in a plactic type burlap 50 pound bag....our grain down here always has a "dust" to it when i poor it in the grain bin....and is some what dry "looking", ok being asthmatic it kills me all the time....our local co-op will not custom bag my grain unless i find some one looking for the same feeding programe i'm doing....ugh!!!! just wondering if any one know what % the grain is (the canadian one) so i can try to match it my self before winter hits!!!! (it's already hit us today...calling for snow tomorrow)

kitten_Val 10-23-2008 06:53 AM

How about pellets? I found them to be much drier, so I mix pellets with local grain.

iridehorses 10-23-2008 06:54 AM

KT, After living in different parts of the East Coast, and even just in SC, I've found that feed makeup is different from each mill. Even though I only use 10% sweet feed, the consistency is always different. Stickier feed only means more molasses and the dust is coming from the quality of the other components.

Have you tried using one of the national feeds such as Purina?

Appyt 10-23-2008 09:04 PM

Twister, While the sticky "sweet" feed seems nicer in all honesty it is really not the best thing for horses. Think candy with the meal. Molasses can hide a multitude of sins in a bag of feed from subpar ingredients to mold. Grain is dusty, tis it's nature. ;) I like alfafla pellets, beet pulp(talk about dusty), and Total Equine pellets. If I was going to feed a "grain" I'd use plain ol oats. :)

NorthernMama 10-23-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appyt (Post 173265)
beet pulp(talk about dusty)

Dusty beet pulp? Huh? The stuff here comes in large pressed chunks -- no dust at all. Just a few crumbs at the bottom of the bag.

Appyt 10-23-2008 10:06 PM

I buy shreds.. Amazing how some areas can only get shreds, some only pellets, some w/molasses(dangit) and some without. I like the shreds as they soak quickly. But they are dusty and I wear contacts. ouch.

KANSAS_TWISTER 10-24-2008 01:16 AM

our feed has a high content of oats, i add alfafa pellets and (in the winter) crack corn...plus daily vit's and sup's. that's true..it's like giving a horse a bag of surgar...was just wondering why it was so diffrent

kitten_Val 10-24-2008 06:46 AM

I got this one to try and really liked it: no molasses, no corn.

Tribute Equine Nutrition - Tribute Kalm 'N EZ Pelleted
Or this one is a grain I believe (not pellet)
Tribute Equine Nutrition - Tribute Kalm 'N EZ Textured

Appyt 10-24-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KANSAS_TWISTER (Post 173364)
our feed has a high content of oats, i add alfafa pellets and (in the winter) crack corn...plus daily vit's and sup's. that's true..it's like giving a horse a bag of surgar...was just wondering why it was so diffrent

Oh sorry, I thought you wanted to find some. I know molasses is one of those "but you gotta have it in feed cuz it's always been there" things. LOL It does smell good. I am guessing the knowledge that it is rarely needed and can be detrimental to horses health has curtailed the production in many places of heavy molasses in sweet feed. Maybe you can get some dust masks and use them when you dump your feed.