The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   spurs (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/spurs-16443/)

saddleseatsweetie 10-23-2008 05:26 AM

spurs

okay this is gonna be a really random question, but how do you make western spurs jingle?

mine used to but i made them stop and now i cant make them jingle again, any tips?

iridehorses 10-23-2008 08:16 AM

The jingle comes from a pair of clappers that are attached to the rowel of the spur. As you walk, the clappers clang together.
http://www.greattack.com/store/image.php?productid=1450

The jingle you may have been getting without the clappers may have come from the rowel hitting against the shaft of the spur. Some dirt may have gotten in there so try cleaning the spur and see if that helps.

saddleseatsweetie 10-23-2008 10:09 AM

yeah i have a pair of spurs that look just like that pic but i cant find them, and the ones im trying to make jingle again used to and they didnt have clappers on the side

Vidaloco 10-23-2008 10:48 AM

You occasionally need to kneel down and squat on your spurs. The ensuing blood will lube the spurs and get them jingling again.
I'm joking of course :shock:

Painted Ride 10-23-2008 10:58 AM

in some cases jingling spurs can make a horse scared, crazy, anxious, and nervous....(jmo) becareful with that...i will admit i do like the sound though:wink:

iridehorses 10-23-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbenitez (Post 172770)
in some cases jingling spurs can make a horse scared, crazy, anxious, and nervous....

True.

They sound good for the first 10 min or so on a ride then they really get annoying.

Painted Ride 10-23-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 172778)
True.

They sound good for the first 10 min or so on a ride then they really get annoying.

true....i will vet wrap mine even if they make a little noise.

mlkarel2010 10-23-2008 07:11 PM

they'll jingle if you wear them low and they hit the ground when you walk... some people do this on purpose, but mine just do it naturally...

Midwest Paint 10-24-2008 05:38 AM

Wow..

Well now.. I don't like mine doing that at all! Your horse will get used to that noise and associate it with a repeated expierence, and respond accordingly. Not always is that the response you want!

Most of the ones I have come across that make noise, have been worn down that way. Old rule of thumb I was tought, if it gets louder, time to change it up.

People still look for the noise in em?

farmpony84 10-24-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbenitez (Post 172770)
in some cases jingling spurs can make a horse scared, crazy, anxious, and nervous....(jmo) becareful with that...i will admit i do like the sound though:wink:

uh.... If jingling spurs made my horse scared crazy anxious or nervous we would be doing some very serious JINGLE work! LOL... (that comment is not against you.)

I've heard people say they wont' use cell phones when riding because it could potentially scare the horse, I've seen trainers that will not allow NOISE in a barn for the horses sake... I think the more noise and commotion, the better!