The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   First time Leasing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/first-time-leasing-164513/)

MAG1723 03-29-2013 12:19 PM

First time Leasing

I wasn't sure where to put this but oh well :) I have a potential leaser for my gelding but the problem is, I have never leased a horse. I have my horse ( which is off limits) and my gelding so its not like there are tons of other people at my barn. What do I tell them to do? What can they have access to? She will be coming once a week. What are things I HAVE to tell them?

thanks

kenda 03-29-2013 01:17 PM

Do you keep your horses at home? If so, you will likely need to look at equine activities insurance. Also, look into a hold harmless waiver. I think you can probably download one and a lease agreement to at least use as a base from the Horse Council BC website.

Beyond that you'll need to decide what tack she can or can't use and let her know. Whether you will allow him to be taken off property at all. If he requires shoes during periods that he is being ridden, will she need to pay for a portion? Is she allowed to jump him and whether you or some supervisor needs to be there when she rides/jumps.

MAG1723 03-29-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenda (Post 2065913)
Do you keep your horses at home? If so, you will likely need to look at equine activities insurance. Also, look into a hold harmless waiver. I think you can probably download one and a lease agreement to at least use as a base from the Horse Council BC website.

Beyond that you'll need to decide what tack she can or can't use and let her know. Whether you will allow him to be taken off property at all. If he requires shoes during periods that he is being ridden, will she need to pay for a portion? Is she allowed to jump him and whether you or some supervisor needs to be there when she rides/jumps.

He will stay at my house. And he is not allowed to jump. We already have all the insurance figured out. She will be paying for him. And I will look into an agreement. thanks