The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Double Dilute Stillborn (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/double-dilute-stillborn-164577/)

Bobthebuilder 03-29-2013 02:48 PM

Double Dilute Stillborn

So, its a piece of information I stumbled upon, and now cant stop thinking about.
I know about lethal whites, but are there any records anywhere that would say that breeding two dilutes would result in a stillbirth?
Sorry for the silly question, would just like some clarification :)

Dreamcatcher Arabians 03-29-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 2066425)
So, its a piece of information I stumbled upon, and now cant stop thinking about.
I know about lethal whites, but are there any records anywhere that would say that breeding two dilutes would result in a stillbirth?
Sorry for the silly question, would just like some clarification :)

Nothing related to color that I'm aware of. Folks breed 2 buckskins, 2 palominos, 2 cremellos or 2 perlinos and as far as I know there's no higher incidence of stillbirth than with 2 bays or 2 chestnuts. Even an OWLS foal will live a while, generally they get put down before 72 hrs, but you don't know it's OLWS until you see the colic signs. Otherwise they tend to be beautiful, healthy LOOKING horses, so not even still born then.

Where did you find the info? Can you give a link to it?

***edited to add*** I take back the dilution lethal bit. In Arabians there is Lavender Foal Syndrome that causes foals to be stillborn and their coats of a lavender tinge to them. That's the only "color" related one I've heard of but it's not related to a color that a normal foal would be born with.

Poseidon 03-29-2013 03:07 PM

I have no idea why it would be related to color. The double dilute parents would already be CrCr, so they would each have to pass on one copy, so the foal would be guaranteed double cream. There shouldn't be any reason to cause a stillborn any more than breeding a palomino to a buckskin (or any single dilute) and getting a double dilute.

Faceman 03-31-2013 01:38 PM

Perhaps you stumbled on an old reference. Prior to the mid 70's it was widely thought that double dilutes were tied to lethal white. If I remember correctly, some breed registries wouldn't even accept them. Remember, it is only in relatively recent years that very much has been known about equine genetics, so we aren't really that far removed from some of the old wives tales and superstitions...

Faceman 03-31-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 2066585)
I have no idea why it would be related to color. The double dilute parents would already be CrCr, so they would each have to pass on one copy, so the foal would be guaranteed double cream. There shouldn't be any reason to cause a stillborn any more than breeding a palomino to a buckskin (or any single dilute) and getting a double dilute.

The only thing I can think of that might have started such thoughts is that frame can be masked by a double dilute, in which case there could be lethal whites when bred to another frame...

Poseidon 03-31-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 2083417)
The only thing I can think of that might have started such thoughts is that frame can be masked by a double dilute, in which case there could be lethal whites when bred to another frame...

Which would be entirely possible with how minimal frame can be on top of just being hard to see white on a double dilute.

And I'm glad we have advanced far enough to know what actually causes lethal foals rather than haphazardly placing it on random colors such as double creams or homozygous roans.

Faceman 03-31-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 2084193)
And I'm glad we have advanced far enough to know what actually causes lethal foals rather than haphazardly placing it on random colors such as double creams or homozygous roans.

For all the good it does in some cases...:twisted: