The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Stiff, sore, lame gelding. Videos. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/stiff-sore-lame-gelding-videos-164625/)

New_image 03-29-2013 04:13 PM

Stiff, sore, lame gelding. Videos.

This is one of my boarding horses. His owner has only been out a handful of times in the past year and a half. I know that she is hoping to get out this summer and use him.

He has been here for over two years and he has always been stiff/sore. He regularly gets hoof abscess that I treat. He MAY be working up another one attributing to his "off gait" in the video, but he may be just that sore on whatever it is that bothers him. That aside, he just gets steadily more stiff.

His back end (hip, I believe) clicks whenever he walks. His back is sore when you run your hands down it. He literally cannot flex his neck or get his head to his side for an itch. He now has a head "bob" when standing still indicating that something hurts. He loosens up once moving, if the horses are playing, but when he walks off from a stand it looks very sad.

This horse is eight years old. And honestly, not as much of a tub as the video makes him look. Hes a fuzz over weight, but for some reason he looks obese in the one video.

I have informed his owner each and every time that the chiropractor, vet or dentist has been out and insisted that he should be seen by each one of these. I have done everything and more, short of paying his vet bills and dentist bills, to keep him comfortable while he toddles around out in the pasture here but he should really be seen.

Knee jerk reaction, what do you feel is bothering this horse?

Jlombard5 03-29-2013 11:53 PM

Aw poor guy. Subbing in as I don't know much about lameness issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 03-30-2013 12:01 AM

It doesn't look like it's a feet problem, he's not favoring a foot or anything. It looks like it's up in his hip somewhere with the way he swings that leg forward. Also when he canters, he "hops" instead of correctly striding. He definitely needs to be seen by a chiropractor at the very least because something is definitely off. Have you ever done flexing exercises with him? Standing at his hip and pulling his head each direction towards his hip? The head bob is definitely worrisome. Poor guy can't be comfortable at all. ):

tinyliny 03-30-2013 12:42 AM

I see him favoring his left front.

Kayella 03-30-2013 12:45 AM

Oh, you're right Tiny! I was so focused on his hind end I missed that bahaha.

LoveMyDrummerBoy 03-30-2013 12:53 AM

He looks in pain on more than one leg. This horse needs to be diagnosed by a vet, because I think it is far worse than an abscess as you mention he gets. Definitely a contributing factor, but doesn't look to be the entire problem.

Muppetgirl 03-30-2013 12:58 AM

Gee.....it's just all over:?

Even in the first clip with the head nodding......

He is sore......it just looks to be all over:-(

Eolith 03-30-2013 01:00 AM

I agree that he definitely needs to be seen by some equine professionals.

You and/or the owner might consider giving him some MSM... it's pretty cheap and may make him at least a bit more comfortable.

Mochachino 03-30-2013 01:05 AM

As I was watching him move it reminded me of my senior QH before I put him on MSM. I would definitely have a vet take a look at him ASAP and help him get some comfort. He looks sweet but I'm sure he isn't feeling too good. Poor guy.

AmazinCaucasian 03-30-2013 01:10 AM

Muppetgirl nailed it I think. I think he's sore in front, back, and in the middle. Have the abscesses been in front? If so I'd say he's sore there, especially on hard frozen ground. But can't shift weight to the hind to compensate because the right hip is lame. So with no relief, he just tenses down his spine and now has no flexibility. Needs an adjustment and some shoes with pads to armor-plate those feet. Then a chiropractor to do the rest. I really don't see anything a vet can do here. Does he cock his tail to one side?

Just an opinion based on a short fuzzy video. If I was you I'd take more stock in someone who saw this horse in person