The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   How Big is a Dressage Saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/how-big-dressage-saddle-164673/)

disastercupcake 03-29-2013 04:50 PM

How Big is a Dressage Saddle?

2 Attachment(s)
Okay so,

I bought a used Courbette saddle a few months ago and I absolutely love it. It was labeled All Purpose at the tack shop but it looks like a straight Dressage saddle to me. Anyways my trainer told me to get a wider saddle soon, as my horse is half draft, 6 years old, and will need at least 32 cm gullet. So, since I liked my Courbette so much I decided to get another one.

My old saddle's dimensions: 31cm gullet (meduium) 18" seat. The seat is a tad big for me- in the first picture. I just bought this saddle on Ebay: a 32cm gullet (wide) with a 17'' seat- second picture.

Am I crazy or does this new saddle look TINY? You wouldn't think one inch difference in the seat would make it that much smaller. I ride in 15'' saddles and they're only slightly too small. For me 16'' is perfect. But, I measured it and its exactly 17''. Why does it look so small? Are Dressage saddles smaller than A/P saddles? I'm confused

freia 03-29-2013 05:03 PM

Have you measured it from the nailhead at the side of the pommel to the center of the cantle to make sure it really is a 17"?
Check that first.

Prinella 03-29-2013 05:05 PM

Don't forget because the flap is cut straighter it will look smaller whereas an all purposes rounded flap makes it seem larger
Posted via Mobile Device

disastercupcake 03-29-2013 05:06 PM

Yes I did, and it is exactly 17 inches. I also measured the size of the flaps and they're the same as the other saddle, width and height. I don't know.. it almost looks like a child's saddle! lol

freia 03-29-2013 05:46 PM

How does it feel when you sit in it? Does it feel munchkin-like or are you supported with a little room? Doesn't really matter if it looks small. If it feels small, that's a much bigger problem.

Rachel1786 03-29-2013 06:05 PM

The bottom pic reminds me of the smart pak ad that says "thing work better when they fit" or something like that lol

It does look really tiny compared to the other saddle

freia 03-29-2013 06:10 PM

Just what have you been feeding that horse??? He obviously grew.:lol:

disastercupcake 03-29-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freia (Post 2067945)
How does it feel when you sit in it? Does it feel munchkin-like or are you supported with a little room? Doesn't really matter if it looks small. If it feels small, that's a much bigger problem.

I haven't sat on it yet. I was too flustered- I almost ran online to yell at the seller that she didn't say it was a CHILD's saddle. Then I thought better of it and took measurements and here I am haha

Delfina 03-29-2013 08:10 PM

It's too far forward. The flaps are going to impede his shoulder movement where you have them now. I think it would appear better visually once it's on properly.

~*~anebel~*~ 03-29-2013 10:17 PM

Both saddles are dressage saddles and neither saddle fits.

I would recommend looking at a saddle made for a more baroque style horse - the courbettes fit a TB type quite well but obviously do not fit this horse.
Prestige, Amerigo, Zaldi, etc.. will fit better.
Both saddles rest too far up the horse's shoulder and are not balanced (pommel too high).