The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How big would be too big for a trail ride? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-big-would-too-big-trail-164705/)

Palomine 03-29-2013 06:21 PM

How big would be too big for a trail ride?

Farrier and I were talking yesterday and he said he and his family go on a trail ride that is huge, place can handle 3000 horses.

To me, that would be way too many.

He did say that you could wander off, not stay with everyone if didn't want to.

But to me, that is an awful lot of people and horses.

What is the biggest trail ride you would consider, in amount of people?

Chevaux 03-29-2013 06:41 PM

Wow that's a lot!!! I have never been on a ride that exceeded double digits (and at that they were usually at the lower to middle range in numbers). So based on this experience, I probably wouldn't want to be on a ride that exceeded 100 maximum -- perhaps I'm becoming cynical in my old age but if the number got too high I would have trouble watching out for and keeping my horse and I safe from the percentage of "worrisome" riders (I'm trying to be diplomatic here) that always seem to accompany an outing.

Cat 03-29-2013 06:53 PM

I'm not comfortable on rides over 50-60 people and even those large of rides I only go on occassionally.

princecharming 03-29-2013 07:03 PM

Never 3,000!!! There is no way every one of those horses and riders are going to be:
1: vaccinated, with a negative coggins
2: well trained or with
3: competent riders

I really feel comfortable with 15 or less, but have been on hunts/trails with up to 50.

countrylove 03-29-2013 10:50 PM

I did a ride with 280+ riders and I'll never do it again. Too many green horses and green riders that created a few dangerous situations that we are all lucky no one or horse was seriously injured. I like going out with 4-5 people tops and people that I know as well. This summer we are planning a trip of about 25, mostly kids :) wish us luck lol
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 03-29-2013 10:58 PM

When we did our usual sunday trail rides it wasnt over 30 horses-- when its over 15 its not a trail ride anymore-- it turns more into a horizontal marching ride with more horizontal lines behind eachother. The only fun in that is drinking or watching the drunks almost fall out of their seats, lol.

smrobs 03-29-2013 11:11 PM

I don't like riding when there's more than 10 or so riders...and even that depends greatly on who the people are.

If I know all the folks, I'll ride with a bigger group (max of around 20 anyway), but a group of strangers? Nope, I'd rather ride alone.

I have absolutely zero faith in most other people to be able to control their horses and not get me or my horse hurt. I've been in way too many bad situations with strange folks and their horses to believe any differently.

DancingArabian 03-29-2013 11:33 PM

That's 2,999 more horses than I usually go riding with. I'd pass!

usandpets 03-30-2013 12:12 AM

We have done rides with around 500. It can be a little on the crazy side. The ride starts out with everyone spread out. Usually, you do see someone get thrown off. People having issues with their horses. Some being stupid, drinking, or running past others. It's not the best scenario but its for a good cause.

This last year we went on a different ride that was only about 60 riders. It was more pleasant of a ride.

There is no guarantee that every horse has a negative coggins. However, it is not a common thing here for a horse to be positive. Same with strangles or anything else, you don't know if everyone is vaccinated or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 03-30-2013 03:06 AM

I do 5 or 6 a year of 200-400 rider rides. They're lots of fun, rarely have issues on the trail. People get spread out pretty much. Other people doing dumb stuff or getting hurt is their problem. I usually watch. Occasionally I'm the one doing the dumb stuff and getting hurt.