The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Heels down (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/heels-down-16473/)

VanillaBean 10-23-2008 07:34 PM

Heels down

Hi
I have a hard time keeping my heels down when i ask for the canter, my trainer thinks its beacuse i ride bareback so much.
Are there and 'tecniques' to help me?

Thanks

-VanillaBean

SonnyWimps 10-23-2008 08:28 PM

stretching them down by using stairs.
Really, even in a saddle, I never keep my heels down. It makes my body tense, and in turn makes my horse tense.

Since the "correct" way for English riding is to keep the heels down, I'd say do alot of stretching in your calves. That's helped alot of people

AKPaintLover 10-24-2008 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyWimps (Post 173198)
Since the "correct" way for English riding is to keep the heels down, I'd say do alot of stretching in your calves. That's helped alot of people

I would venture to say that keeping your heels down is not only important for english riding, but also western, and general equitation (for security of rider). :D

I ride bareback a lot, and also have tight calves, so keeping heels down is hard for me too. I would also suggest stretching (advice that I should follow as well :-) ) One thing is that I am always very conscious of my heel/leg position, which helps a lot...just keep reminding yourself of it in your head. I am even sure to keep my heels down when riding bareback - that will help keep you in the habit and thinking about it.

DashAwayAll 10-24-2008 07:53 AM

Many moons ago ( when dinos walked the eath's crust) my old riding instrucor would preach "Little toe higher than big toe!) That pretty much makes your heel drop.

VanillaBean 10-24-2008 08:40 AM

Thanks guys!!

XxXequinegrlXxX 10-24-2008 08:49 AM

stretch ,stretch, stretch!!!! lol

IrishRider 10-24-2008 11:53 AM

I agree with the stretching. When I get in the saddle I walk around in 2-point for a little while and then I do a bunch of trotting in 2-point. It helps to stretch your calves a little (because mine are always tight too) and then for the most part I find it easier to keep my heels down for the rest of the ride. I also do a lap around the arena without stirrups while trotting. That also seems to help.

VanillaBean 10-24-2008 03:46 PM

Thanks guys, i'm already better!!! :)

xkatex 10-24-2008 04:10 PM

Stretching is probably one of the most fool proof ways of aiding with keeping your heels down. My instructor found me more responsive when she said "Toes up" try telling yourself that and see if it helps. =)

PoptartShop 10-24-2008 05:55 PM

To help keep my heels down, I open my calf & push my knees down. :D That should definitely lower your leg a bit & keep your heels down.