The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Health Problems (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/health-problems-165/)

ShaniNev87 12-20-2006 08:22 PM

Health Problems

Hey all new here! Haha just wanted to ask for some ideas and help with a few horse health problems I have at the momment. I have 2 horses one appy x tb and one tb xracehorse. Ok...I have a few things that have happened to them and tried all sorts of things to fix but havent been able to.

#1 - tb xracehorse = brought him...1yr ago maybe, from dessert and i live on the coast....since bringing him he has lost fur across his front chest...and has many small lumps that come and go...like hard lumps. Im not quite sure how to explain and i dont no what they are exactually. They remain with or without a rug, he only got them when he moved to ours. So im thinking climate...or somesthing in the paddok or something. Hmmm i will get photos for this instead to give you an idea.

#2 - appy x tb - recently gotten lumps over one side of his rump...but you can pick them off. However they are like in his skin. I have washed these in iodine and they seem to have gone down but not disappeared. I will get photos also.

#3 - appy - ever since ive had him has had an eye problem...like just get gunky...not too bad but its allways sorta like sleep i guess - human equivilant. haha i can get photos too. Heard putting cold tea with syringe in his eye can help not sure though??? no anything??? ill get photos of this also

#4 - thoroughbred - has like on his hind heels, sores or some sort getting photos!!!

ok i need photos cause im really bad at explaining and ill be here all day. Please dont respond till i get photos of these....which will be asap. Come back soon to check when i hav ephotos thanks!!!!!
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

kristy 12-20-2006 08:37 PM

Just wanted to say, please don't flush his eye with tea.

Skippy! 12-20-2006 10:53 PM

This is all from my personal experience, this may, or may not be what is affecting your horse. Im no veterinarian, ive just seen -allot- in my years on a boarding facility with horses constantly coming and going ^^

Quote:

#1 - tb xracehorse = brought him...1yr ago maybe, from dessert and i live on the coast....since bringing him he has lost fur across his front chest...and has many small lumps that come and go...like hard lumps. Im not quite sure how to explain and i dont no what they are exactually. They remain with or without a rug, he only got them when he moved to ours. So im thinking climate...or somesthing in the paddok or something. Hmmm i will get photos for this instead to give you an idea.
Alright.. this could be some sort of weed or irritant he deals with. Do you use any harmful fly sprays? Sometimes the fly spray's with pesticides in it can actually result in allergic reaction/hair loss. My recommendation for now, would be to put some triple antibiotic (Neosporin) on the area. Triple Antibiotic ROCKS for stuff like that.

Quote:

#2 - appy x tb - recently gotten lumps over one side of his rump...but you can pick them off. However they are like in his skin. I have washed these in iodine and they seem to have gone down but not disappeared. I will get photos also.
This kind of sounds like Rain Rot to me. Are they sorta greasy and clammy looking? are they under the hair? Im having to deal with this now on my horses, since my Ex let them rot without a shelter while I was trying to get them back from him. I recommend using Betadine scrub OR Microtek spray.. Do NOT use both! Betadine scrub is much better. Do that daily, and if he begins to bald there, put cortozone cream on the area to keep it moisturized.

Quote:

#3 - appy - ever since ive had him has had an eye problem...like just get gunky...not too bad but its allways sorta like sleep i guess - human equivilant. haha i can get photos too. Heard putting cold tea with syringe in his eye can help not sure though??? no anything??? ill get photos of this also
Whenever my gelding got a weepy eye, we bought this over the counter horse medicine called Terramyacine (sp?) it came in a tube and you applied it in the eye (on the inside of the lower lid). Appies can get really bad eyes, ive known many to go blind =/ And as Kristy said, i wouldnt recommend the Tea thing ^^;;;

Quote:

#4 - thoroughbred - has like on his hind heels, sores or some sort getting photos!!!
Not much detail on this one, haha! Anyways, it can be as simple as he stepped on debris and has an infection, or as severe as heel avulsion. This happened to my filly and it absolutely sucks. I cant really give any thought on this horse, because the description is pretty vague. Here are pictures of what my Filly's heel avulsion looked like:

When I discovered it:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...in/abcess1.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...in/abcess2.jpg

The day the vet resected it:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...favulsion1.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...favulsion2.jpg
(yes, there are gnats in the wound, it was summer and they were vicious.. but worry not! iodine and epsom salts drove em off ;D)

Pictures of your guys would help greatly =) And perhaps you should consider calling your vet out. For an examination and recommendation of treatment, they wont charge that much, i dont think. Call your vet and talk to them.. ask them if they could come out and give you an evaluation =)

And my advice is strictly an opinion based on the problems you described coupled with my personal experience.. and im not a vet! Haha!

Good luck! and Welcome!

showpony@heart 12-20-2006 10:55 PM

For #4 could it be greasy heel? unsure unless i saw pics and alot of appys eyes are pink and therefore are more likely to weep have "sleep" in them, the appy i used to own eyes used to weep all the time particularly in summer so i would suggest keeping a flymask on him during the day in summer/spring and wash his eyes out with cold water and clean sponge every day.

royalrox 01-06-2007 10:14 PM

for numbers 1-3 I would agree with Skippy and for four if its like little scabby things its probably scratches (also called greasy heel) and for those its good to scrub with iodine to soften the scabs, your horse prob. won't like it but you have to do it and also mikro tek shampoo works well for scratches as well as rain rot and other fungi

Skippy! 01-07-2007 12:52 AM

Wanted to add, that with Rain Rot, if its progressed far enough, the little clammy bumps wont "go away" per say, they will need to be picked/curried off. I'm having to deal with this problem now with Joey and Rain, since my ex let them live in squalor for a month until i could pick them up.

The iodine will kill the Rain Rot, but you will need to remove the remainder of the bumps by hand. If they continually come back afterwards, then it may not be Rain Rot.

So long as their coats stay brushed and aerated, you will not have to worry about Rain Rot reforming. It will generally form if it rains on your horse, and the fur dries in clumps and then bakes in the sun. (this is what ive found from my personal experience)

Hope all is well!