The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Grain free? Anyone do no grain diet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/grain-free-anyone-do-no-grain-165001/)

Palomine 03-30-2013 09:28 AM

Grain free? Anyone do no grain diet?

Someone I just met, says she stays away completely from grain in horse's diet.

She and I are going to talk at length later about this, how it would do with stall horses, and how much hay is upped, and frequency of feedings.

But does anyone here not feed any grain to stall horses. I can see it more in field/pasture but stalls?

Hopefully someone on here is doing this and can give their experiences.

COWCHICK77 03-30-2013 09:39 AM

A trainer I worked for never grained or supplemented the horses in training. All they got was alfalfa cubes twice a day. The horses beautiful, slick, shiny and shown/won at the open level at AQHA and NRCHA.
It really does make one think twice about spending all the money on supplements and grain.

Palomine 03-30-2013 10:34 AM

So this was in addition to hay or in lieu of?

And what ratio also?

COWCHICK77 03-30-2013 11:04 AM

No hay, just cubes. Bought them by the truck load and had them delivered. He had a shed built with a cement floor, all someone had to do was go in with the tractor and get a scoop full, drive down the isles and scoop out about a small(2 gallon?) bucket full. The horses wasted less and looked and preformed well on them.

Cat 03-30-2013 11:09 AM

I don't grain mine - even when stalled. They are getting even less exercise than ones who can constantly move in pasture or the dry lot. A small-hole hay net to keep them busy and all the hay they can eat. If they need something "more" I go with either soaked alfalfa pellets or beet pulp with maybe a little corn oil depending on the situation.

DancingArabian 03-30-2013 11:42 AM

My horse only gets ration balancer pellet - no grain. He gets free choice hay when in a stall and when the fields are icky.
Posted via Mobile Device

Trinity3205 03-30-2013 02:31 PM

I dont feed anything with cereal grains in it. But I do use a pelleted ration balancer and occasionally a pellet that is forage based. Works fine.

loosie 03-30-2013 07:27 PM

Where have you been Palomine?? - not reading many threads here, by the sound of it?! ;-)

Yeah, I don't believe grain is *necessarily* a bad thing, but generally horses don't need it & if they do need extra weight, high octane calories, there are better, healthier options, such as alfalfa/lucerne, rice bran, etc.

Horses don't do rich, starchy diets very well. They also have a small stomach that empties quickly(approx 15 minutes or less). Cereal grain is generally not - or little - digested in this time in the stomach, so hits the 'hind gut' undigested where it can cause 'acidosis' & other issues. Oats are a bit of an exception, being more easily digestible & lower in starch than other grain. Corn/maize is about the worst, in both those regards. If horses are fed infrequent &/or large meals, such as the norm of hard feeds only a couple of times daily, the problems associated with grain & starch overload are compounded. So I'd also only opt for grain(assuming no better option) if I could feed it little & often, and would ensure it was cooked/processed before feeding, to make it more digestible.

CowboyBob 03-30-2013 11:46 PM

I don't grain, but I also don't stall either. I put out about 20lbs per head per day once a day (I like evening feeding). I have 20 head and they do fine with out it. I did like the idea of alfalfa cubes.

greentree 03-31-2013 08:54 PM

CowboyBob, you feed 400 lbs per DAY?