The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Long-distance riding horse for a large person?

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Nokotaheaven 
#1 ·
I am looking to get into competitive long distance/endurance racing in a few years and my dad, who is 6'3" and 225 lbs., would like to do that with me. He doesn't have a horse and we were wondering what other people's opinions are on breeds or breed crosses would work well for endurance with a person of his size.
I know all horses are an individual and there are exceptions for every breed, so I would just like general suggestions on breeds that would be good for this.
Thanks!

#2 ·
I am same size and looking for the same.
Polish, Crabbet, Russian , french arabian, stay away from show stock, Measure circumference of the cannon bones. Bigger is better. Your looking for real close to 8 inches.
50/50 crosses I would consider Morgan, Saddlebred, TB. REAL appaloosa. IE not the colored QH's
75 arabian/25 other I would consider... Id add paint or QH to the mix and really anything other than draft.
You dont mention where you live, Farther north and the colder your rides the more heavier breeds can be ok.
Also terrain can be a factor. Shorter horses do better in the mountains and rough country, long tall in the flatlands. COurse thats just the phsical aspects. Endurance is also a mental game. SOme horses have heart some dont, some will eat and drink on the trail, some wont. Some are calm cool and collected, some will freak out at vet checks. Thats the sucky part trying to figure that stuff out. Best most super duper race bred Huge cannon boned straigh backed Arabian aint worth a flip in endurance if it freaks out when the vet looks at em.

#4 ·
I would expect they would do ok, lighter leaner horse. with some height and long legs. Just dont see many.. I think parts of the country in to standard breds, arnt into Arabians, so you dont see the cross that much.
Theres a really pretty NSH near me I keep looking at, pics make it look like it has skinny legs, need to do a drive by see what it looks like,

#9 ·
You might look at a Saddlebred Arabian cross. Some have done very well in endurance. But in all honesty, if he can find a purebred that is wide enough that HE is comfortable, he should not worry about an Arabian carrying his weight. Their bones are dense for their size.

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.