The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   help rearing saddle horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-rearing-saddle-horse-16515/)

vcary2008 10-24-2008 06:19 PM

help rearing saddle horse

hey to everyone i have a spotted saddle horse he is 17 hands and all of a sudden he is rearing trying to ride him from home he use to not do that he is now barn sour i want to get him out of it im actually trying to sell him and every time i have shown him to someone he has reared so i need to know if there is a quick fix would a tie down work if you truck him out he dosent do it or if you ride him with other horses i have tryied to disingage his hind quarters but when i cue him to walk forward he just turns and looks at me
please can anyone help:!:

ohmyitschelle 10-24-2008 07:37 PM

I'm not sure how much help I'll be but I have a wee mare who rears, and have had success with keeping her forward - ie, not letting her have the chance to just plod. I find the more active she is, the happier she is, and her rider also has taken to doing loads of transitions and changes of the rein to keep her occupied. So far the rearing has stopped.
I don't think there is a quick fix to this, its a bit of a patience game.
x

vcary2008 10-27-2008 09:43 AM

i try to keep him moving forward but when i cue him to go he just wont move he turs and looks at me like im crazy and just stands there :???:

iridehorses 10-27-2008 10:25 AM

vcary, rearing is arguably the most dangerous and scariest of all behavioral problems. If you have ruled out the physical then it comes down to behavioral.

You shouldn't sell a rearing horse unless you let the prospective buyer know. It may be better for a trainer to come in and give you a hand for a bit to get him out of the habit. If that isn't possible and you feel confident enough, then lets try to fix it.

If your horse is refusing to move forward when cued, then it is obvious that he thinks he is in charge. I would start carrying a riding crop to reinforce my aids. When he balked at moving I would turn him in several circles, first one way then the other and then back him up. From there I would ease pressure and ask for forward motion again. I would keep that up until he realizes that it is easier to go forward then to refuse. If he feels like he is going to go up, then turn him fast and get his feet moving.

I would also work on respect and that can be done in a round pen. He needs to remember who is the alfa animal and that it isn't him.

The question is WHY? What has happened that started this when you say that it is a new habit.

farmpony84 10-27-2008 10:32 AM

I have a QH that is a rearer. I've had him for almost 21 years. In my opinion, there is no "cure" for the rearing horse. Here are things I've done over the years.

I have done the "pop a water balloon" and the "break an egg" over his head routine. You have to do it WHILE HE'S IN THE UPWARD PATH and not when he's coming back down. It's hard to get it just right... it's messy and harder then you would thing. The thought behind it is that they think they are hitting their heads and that makes them a little more careful.

I have yanked him to the left or right while he was in air, that knocks him off balance and forces him to throw his feet back down. You have to be careful because if he's smart, he'll catch on and when he go's up and you lean forward to yank that reign, he'll spin the opposite direction and you'll go flying.

I have also kicked him forward while he's in mid rear but then he leaps really high and it's a ride, but you do get him moving forward.

The other things I've done is jammed my knuckle into his spine just above the withers. That must cause discomfort because that keeps the rears low, around 18 inches.

Obviously the tie downs are the best option, I used one that was a thin plastic coated wire that I got at a tack shop. He got to where as long as he knew it was there, he wouldnt try anything. Lastly I cut then end off a broomstick, about 12 inches worth and I put a handle on it and hung it from the saddle horn, when he went up. I bopped him between the ears on the upward motion and that brought him down.

I know my methods seem cruel but they arent. Rearing is the most dangerous thing a horse can do and it isn't something to play around with. I never found a true fix for it. But I found a lot of work arounds and my horse and I have had 21 years of fun together. I love him and I'm not an abusive owner... I just tried every method ever mentioned. Including tying a peice of baling twine from his halter to a string of his tail. So that he would feel like he was pulling against himself. The only thing I never tried was to flip him over. I didnt want to hurt him or myself....

Hopefully one of these ideas will help you....

Painted Ride 10-27-2008 10:32 AM

i had a horse that would always rear up too. one day my trainer suggested i crack an egg over the top of his head....he thought he weas bleeding/wounded, he put his head down so quick and never did it again......waterballoons work as well...not as messy. horses do not know what blood looks like therefore when they feel this liquid coming from their pool they think they hit their heads and got hurt. i have seen this work on other horses as well.

Curly_Horse_CMT 10-27-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbenitez (Post 175151)
i had a horse that would always rear up too. one day my trainer suggested i crack an egg over the top of his head....he thought he weas bleeding/wounded, he put his head down so quick and never did it again......waterballoons work as well...not as messy. horses do not know what blood looks like therefore when they feel this liquid coming from their pool they think they hit their heads and got hurt. i have seen this work on other horses as well.

I have never seen this work, and I dont really agree with it anyways. One of the guys that I know had a paint mare that was a rearer, but it was out of fright, not being stubborn. (she was scared s***less of the guy) Anways, he tried that, and it didnt work. I would find out the root of your horses rearing, and work from there. Rearing is scary...I have had a Tennessee Walking mare with severe rearing problems go up with me...she was another "fright" case. All I could really do was sit there and just give her support. I never touched the reins when she was up in the air, I didnt want her falling over on me. She didnt have any flexion of the neck, which didnt help either. She wouldnt yeild to pressure. Anyways...just my two cents.

.Delete. 10-27-2008 01:08 PM

I haven't read anything but the first post.

Tie down.

.Delete. 10-27-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbenitez (Post 175151)

That worked with my one pony. But he reared on the ground. I haven't tried it in the saddle.

Painted Ride 10-27-2008 02:34 PM

^ it should work then too.... Curly_Horse_CMT no reason to bash the method. you don't agree with it, thats fine but you dont have to say how it never works. just bc you witnessed it not working dosent mean that it dosent.