The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Cantering on the wrong lead (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/cantering-wrong-lead-16517/)

VanillaBean 10-24-2008 05:51 PM

Cantering on the wrong lead
 
Hi
My moms horse, Raven who i've been riding, wont canter on the right lead, i asked for the right lead, she picked it up, i asked for the left lead she did the right lead and i asked for the canter in general...RIGHT LEAD!!!! Is there somthing wrong with her or is she just testing me??

ANY IDEAS???

juju 10-24-2008 06:35 PM

you can try several things although she may be testing you (does she canter for other people?)
try posting on the wrong diagonal
leg yield to the wall, and when it feels right ask for the canter
you could try "chasing" her into the canter or just get a faster and faster trot in till she canter - not my fav.
i think it works best if you leg yield into the canter, if she gets fast slowly down and ask again.

claireauriga 10-24-2008 06:36 PM

Does she still do it if you ask for the canter while on a circle? That encourages the horse to pick up the inside lead.

PoptartShop 10-24-2008 07:10 PM

Is she shoed? Could her feet be bothering her, or is she lame? Some horses just have a 'bad' side, but I'd check her out just to be sure. :D

Spyder 10-24-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanillaBean (Post 173786)
Hi
My moms horse, Raven who i've been riding, wont canter on the right lead, i asked for the right lead, she picked it up, i asked for the left lead she did the right lead and i asked for the canter in general...RIGHT LEAD!!!! Is there somthing wrong with her or is she just testing me??

ANY IDEAS???

Posts 21 and 23

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...s-15941/page3/

VanillaBean 10-25-2008 08:13 AM

Thanks guys,
She is not shod, but i checked her hooves and nothing is wrong.
No one really rides her too much because she bucks and balks, i am the first one to canter her in about a yr and a half.
I didn't try to canter her on a circle, because it she canters too long, she bucks...but ill try!!

claireauriga 10-25-2008 02:05 PM

Any bend will do, so try asking for a canter as you go into or out of one end of the arena. It just makes it easier for the horse to pick up the inside lead because that's where they'd naturally go.

Jubilee Rose 10-25-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanillaBean (Post 174072)
No one really rides her too much because she bucks and balks, i am the first one to canter her in about a yr and a half.

I think that's your answer right there. Give her some time. She's still getting back into it. I would start with some lunging. How are her other gaits? Work on these first and get them perfected before going onto the canter. You can't trot if you can't walk and you can't canter if you can't trot or walk, in my opinion.

VanillaBean 10-26-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubilee Rose (Post 174358)
I think that's your answer right there. Give her some time. She's still getting back into it. I would start with some lunging. How are her other gaits? Work on these first and get them perfected before going onto the canter. You can't trot if you can't walk and you can't canter if you can't trot or walk, in my opinion.

Okay.
Her other gaits are rly good.
She dosn't lunge too good...But she'll be fine so ill try it!

Thx

Walshy 10-27-2008 04:48 AM

Wrong canter lead
 
I used to find that when my older horse wouldn't go on the correct canter lead that i would lean down his shoulder and this made the problem worse because then all my weight was on his inside shoulder which encouraged him to go on the incorrect canter lead


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0