The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Pro-sharpening of clipper blades? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/pro-sharpening-clipper-blades-165209/)

waresbear 03-30-2013 07:29 PM

Pro-sharpening of clipper blades?

Has anyone sent their clipper blades off to be re-sharpened? I have many dull sets and bought a new set today, $55, not exactly cheap. I have a business card for a fellow who re-sharpens dull blades, he charges $5 a set & claims they are as sharp as new ones when he is done. There are all A5 blades, 10's & 15's and one set of 40's.

Palomine 03-30-2013 07:51 PM

Yes. I have done this forever. They have to be sharpened and your clippers also need to go too, so they can be checked over, cleaned well and in the best working order.

I'd used the same clipperman for years..but can't find him now, don't know what happened to him, but he was fantastic.

I also take blade off after clipping, clean out hair from clippers/blades, and then make sure they are wrapped well before storage.

It will extend the life of your clippers by years.

Most of them will not do cordless, from what I am seeing now?

If you don't know of any? Call local barber shop or dog grooming place as they will know who is good to use.

waresbear 03-30-2013 08:11 PM

These are A5's, detachables, lol. This guy didn't ask for my clippers and I wouldn't send $300 clippers through the mail anyways, the blades I don't care about, they are dull anyways, lol.

churumbeque 03-30-2013 08:13 PM

I have hasd them sharpened many times years ago and they never seemed to stay sharp as long as new. So I have just alwyas replaced them. Not sure of the technique and some sharpeners I am sure are better than others.

waresbear 03-30-2013 08:28 PM

Thanks for the replies, figured it wouldn't be as good as getting new ones, oh well, I tried.

tbcrazy 03-31-2013 12:12 AM

On that note, anyone have suggestions on where to find the cheapest replacements?

evilamc 03-31-2013 12:18 AM

If you are in the US, I can refer you to a few places when I go back to work Tuesday and grab business cards. We have our own blade sharpener at work but sometimes we send some out if we get an overflow of dulls when we send out scissors

tbcrazy 03-31-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilamc (Post 2079081)
If you are in the US, I can refer you to a few places when I go back to work Tuesday and grab business cards. We have our own blade sharpener at work but sometimes we send some out if we get an overflow of dulls when we send out scissors

That would be great!

waresbear 03-31-2013 12:24 AM

Evilamc, you are a dog groomer, so you do find the blades just as sharp as a new set after sharpening, or relatively close to it?

evilamc 03-31-2013 12:31 AM

Usually they are like brand new! Every now and then they will just need a slight adjusting when you get them back though...

Oh! Remembered one of places LOL

Welcome to Precision Sharp Co. this place is the best too, and good prices