The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   The Dangers Of Rearing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/dangers-rearing-165249/)

BornToRun 03-30-2013 07:19 PM

The Dangers Of Rearing

I thought this was a really well put together video about the dangers of rearing

waresbear 03-30-2013 07:25 PM

I learned this lesson when I was young, I saw a girl killed by a chronic rearer. There was a bunch of us going out for a ride, this girl's horse went up, over and fell on her. I still will never forget the blood coming out her ears.

jinxremoving 03-31-2013 09:00 AM

That's awful. :(

I was riding in a overcrowded ring the other day when my horse spooked another horse which then spooked my horse causing it to rear. In all the commotion of the situation, I made the mistake of picking up contact instead of sending her forward... needless to say the instructor was not too pleased. Definitely won't make that mistake again, yikes.

KylieHuitema 03-31-2013 11:32 AM

I've learned my lesson. Our horses buck and rear in the pasture, and we have small dirt hills from digging are arena. My horse was standing on one and reared, where he lost his balance and fell back landing on his head and neck. He got up fine, but I only could imagine what would happen if it was me under him.

MsBHavin 03-31-2013 01:22 PM

I really love when people who have NO clue what they're doing (no horse sense what so ever) post pictures of themselves teaching their horse to rear and you can see the whip in the corner of the picture.'But he's playing with me!!!' How long before you get injured idiot?

jinxremoving 03-31-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsBHavin (Post 2083265)
I really love when people who have NO clue what they're doing (no horse sense what so ever) post pictures of themselves teaching their horse to rear and you can see the whip in the corner of the picture.'But he's playing with me!!!' How long before you get injured idiot?

Yes!!! I have friends who think it's cute to teach the horses to rear. It blows my mind that people can be so foolish and reckless. Oh, but he only does it when he's not under saddle... I DON'T CARE! It's still a stupid thing to do. People like that shouldn't own horses.

MsBHavin 03-31-2013 02:09 PM

Would it boggle your mind further if I told you it was a stallion they were teaching to rear?

alexischristina 03-31-2013 07:59 PM

I'm just not a fan of trick training in general. I was asked recently why I didn't keep up with any of Jackson's 'cute' tricks after I bought him... because they're hard on his joints, because they give an 'out' if he doesn't want to do what is asked, because he is a working animal and I don't want to risk him or someone else getting hurt. I'm just so, so glad he wasn't taught to rear. He's an amazing horse, but I would have turned tail and ran in a SECOND if that was one of his 'cute tricks'.

Tracer 04-01-2013 08:58 AM

Brilliant video.

I'll admit, I want to teach my horse tricks, but that extends only to 'smiling', nodding etc. Bowing is unnatural and can injure the horse. Rearing is ridiculously dangerous. Why would anyone teach an animal that is already dangerous in its own right to be more dangerous? That's like giving a mass murderer a rocket launcher, all it does it add to their arsenal. Although I sincerely doubt any horse causes injury intentionally... But I wish some of them would when they are with certain people...

ilovepets 04-01-2013 06:40 PM

would you teach a horse to buck? no. why teach them to rear?

if you think getting bucked off hurts, try having 1,500# crush you... yeah real cute..