The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riding A Horse That Constantly Fights You

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  waresbear 
#1 ·
I am riding a very sour mare that constantly fights me when I ride her. She will go against my aids and pull against the reins etc. I was looking for any exercises that can help with this horses problems. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
I hate to say it, but I think that Anebel's point is valid. usually, if you are fighting a horse a lot, the horse is trying to tell you something. It might not mean that the horse can have what it "wants", but it has a problem somewhere and it's trying to tell you that.

It can be your way of riding it, or bad fitting tack or other issues.

Have someone else ride her, who has a lot more experience and see if that tells you anything. It can be a bit dismaying to see a horse that you struggle to ride become like butter in the hands of anotehr , better , rider. But, you might learn something. I have had this experience, too.

#4 ·
I agree with the other posters.

I don't really think you "fight" a horse ever (except maybe when they're reaching for a piece of grass!). They have been trained to respond a certain way to certain aids and if they're not then there is a problem with the training or a problem with the aids, or a combination of the two. Even horses who are dead to the leg or don't respond to things they know have been "trained" to do that by people who don't enforce their aids, or aren't consistent with them. Training isn't always deliberate - its the things you don't do as much as the things you do.

As these aids and training conflict the situation often deteriorates and you have a stressed, confused and skittish horse and a frustrated rider.

Find the actual problem (not the result of that problem) and fix it. Often you will need a trainer or instructor for this, even if its just to notice patterns you can't see.

#5 ·
I agree with all of the other posters. Look at the way you're riding- seriously look, and get a trainer to help you. It's easy to say that she is fighting against your aids, but are you giving the correct aids? Do you have hard hands? A rough seat? Is your leg on correctly?
I definitely second the notion of getting an experienced rider on this horse to see if they can sort it out, but I also suggest checking tack fit.

What bit do you have in her mouth?

#6 ·
No use telling you exercises, as it can very easily be done wrong & you will be in a worse pickle. You need hands on, in person instruction and things will be much easier and enjoyable for you and your horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.