The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Converting Aussie saddle...back to Aussie rigging (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/converting-aussie-saddle-back-aussie-rigging-165394/)

DraftyAiresMum 03-31-2013 01:10 AM

Converting Aussie saddle...back to Aussie rigging

I adore my Aussie saddle. What I don't adore is the western rigging. I end up with a knot of leather under my left leg and it just isn't comfortable. So, I'm going to convert it back to the traditional Aussie rigging. I have a couple of questions, though.

First, the saddle has D rings for the western rigging. They appear to be attached to the tree under the flaps. Will these get in the way of the more traditional rigging? I can get pics if how the saddle is rigged tomorrow.

Second, I'd need an overgirth and regular girth, yes? Any particular kind or suggestions? I looked on the Down Under website and the Australian Stock Saddle Company site, but I am now just thoroughly confused. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevaux 03-31-2013 01:37 AM

Re girth and overgirth: If it needs an overgirth, there should be a 'slot' on either side of the saddle flap close to the seat so it can be slipped through. The girth needs to match the overgirth because of the size of the billet straps and the way the overgirth is done up so the traditional english girth doesn't work. I believe they are easily purchased as a set. If it wasn't for the differing sizes of aussie billet strap compared to english straps, I've always thought that you could make the overgirth work with a regular english girth then (I should like to hear what other aussie saddle users have to say about that).

Re d-rings: I'm going 'duh' with that one so I'm in need of pictorial assistance there.

DraftyAiresMum 03-31-2013 01:42 AM

Yes, it has the slots for an overgirth. I should have been more specific when I said "girth." I did mean an Aussie girth.

I'll have to get pics of the rigging that's on the saddle tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 03-31-2013 07:29 AM

keep the rigging you have and tie at the girth instead of the saddle d ring. Or you can use a western off billet on both sides and use the buckle on each side of girth.

DraftyAiresMum 03-31-2013 12:54 PM

Curious: why do you say to keep the rigging I have, Joe?
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 03-31-2013 01:12 PM

that way you arnt changing things, Also western rigging is easier to snugh things down. I wish I had plain ole d ring up inside my Aussies, Really dont like the current rigging. Billets are shot holes stretched out, and no saddle place will touch it to put new billets on it because it is Australian.

DraftyAiresMum 03-31-2013 01:17 PM

Interesting. I had been told that the overgirth system kind of "suctions" the saddle down into the horse.

What sucks is that with as much as I'll end up paying for a decent new western girth (we need a new one, plus the one we have is kind thick/bulky, so it adds bulk under my leg as well), I could rerig the saddle back to Aussie. Meh.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 03-31-2013 02:17 PM

It is ok, wish you were local Id loan you one of mine so you could decide first.

Chevaux 03-31-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 2082593)
that way you arnt changing things, Also western rigging is easier to snugh things down. I wish I had plain ole d ring up inside my Aussies, Really dont like the current rigging. Billets are shot holes stretched out, and no saddle place will touch it to put new billets on it because it is Australian.

Took me a couple of reads but it finally sunk in but I see what you're saying Joe4d. So if I've got it right - each side of the saddle will have an off billet (the one with holes in it) hanging from the D-ring; then DraftyAiresMum buys a short western cinch that has buckles on either end and tacks up that way. That should certainly work as a cheaper alternative to returning back to the original rigging. I could see it as being harder to snug up that way though because the western off billet straps tend to be rather thick and not too flexible plus the holes would have to be lined up ever so to let the cinch tongue slide in.

DraftyAiresMum, I would still love to see pictures of your current rigging.

Joe4d 03-31-2013 04:55 PM

Yeh I would put a nylon off billet on the off side, then use a nylon billet on the on side, tied at the girth NOT up on the d ring. Shorten the tie so it isnt looped repeatedly.