The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   White Line Disease (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/white-line-disease-165418/)

HarpersMom 03-31-2013 02:02 AM

White Line Disease

My farrier told me the other day that my horse had a little white line disease in one of her front hooves. He said he trimmed it out and treated it with iodine. He seemed not to be too concerned about it - but all of the internet reading I've been doing makes me feel like her foot is about to fall off!

the farrier put the shoe back on, and said I could try to get some iodine under it.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about white line? Should I be consulting my vet?

Freemare 03-31-2013 12:48 PM

White line disease can be bad if left untreated. It is a bacterial infection of the white line. Kind of like thrush. It can get into the the white line and make a honorably bad mess. As long as your farrier trims it out and treats it, it should be all right. Try to keep her out of the mud and wet areas for a few weeks. Just keep a eye on her feet. It can get super bad if left alone with out treatment.

Lunavi 03-31-2013 09:35 PM

I'm not 100% sure if this is what my boy Rylen had in 3 hooves, but if its the same thing you definitely want to get rid of it ASAP and completely. Like a cancer it will spread quickly because it has an ideal environment, warm and oxygen free. When getting rid of it you have to remove every last trace or it will come back.

Rylen was in a stall for two weeks (puncture wound plus extreme cold weather with no paddock shelter) and at the end of the 2 weeks I trimmed his hooves and found a small, barely noticeable black hairline crack on 3 hooves. I chalked it up to the stall rest, trimmed his hooves and thought it was done with. Lesson learned...two or three weeks later three feet looked like this: http://i46.tinypic.com/20ssqxk.jpg

I had to ressect (? - cut away) the wall to open it to the air. I had to go up 1/4 to 1/2 an inch to remove every last trace of black crud and clean with peroxide (good because it introduces oxygen, which kills any stray anaerobic bacteria). It's almost grown out with no trace of return.

I don't think the shoes would help the situation as they will limit your access to treat or clean the area. If gunk gets trapped in there it will keep the area sealed and the problem will continue. As for the vet, I'm not sure if there's anything they can do for it.

AmazinCaucasian 03-31-2013 10:10 PM

Lunavi is 100% accurate. Nothing to add except that a Dremel tool is your friend. And that stuff, (despite being anaerobic) can be spread with hoof knives, etc. It's a good idea to disenfect them after coming in contact with wld, or if they have a forge, burn them a little.

Also for people who haven't seen it, it often looks like wet gunpowder. Ranges from gray to black

Lunavi 03-31-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian (Post 2088273)
Lunavi is 100% accurate. Nothing to add except that a Dremel tool is your friend. And that stuff, (despite being anaerobic) can be spread with hoof knives, etc. It's a good idea to disenfect them after coming in contact with wld, or if they have a forge, burn them a little.

Also for people who haven't seen it, it often looks like wet gunpowder. Ranges from gray to black

Hmmm could it have transferred between horses on the stable floor? Rylen's hooves are in pretty good shape, no flare causing a compromised wall connection. He was being kept in at all times except when I brought him into the arena to stretch, and even though I cleaned twice a day, maybe the ammonia helped the problem along.

And it looked exactly like wet black gunpowder! That pic was taken after I had already cut away about a 1/8 or more of an inch. It was gross!

loosie 04-01-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian (Post 2088273)
Ranges from gray to black

This reminds me, I heard somewhere that if it's black & gooey it's likely bacterial & if it's whitish(or grey) & crumbly it's likely fungal.(?) Not that it seems to matter when treating. Still needs to be treated aggressively IME & because, whether fungal or bacterial, can be a range of different bugs, so best to have a broad spectrum treatment. But your comment made me think, I have quite a number of donkeys on my books & it usually tends to be light & crumbly in donk walls, & especially when it goes high in the walls...

HarpersMom 04-02-2013 01:15 AM

Thanks everyone! This makes me feel a bit better (like her foot wont fall off tomorrow) but also very empowered to go after it and knock it out!

princessfluffybritches 04-02-2013 03:49 PM

Loosie, I wonder, too, since it's black if it's thrush because WLD is (?) white and crumbly , and actually starts eating into the hoof wall? Weird!

Corporal 04-02-2013 04:00 PM

Now that you've learned about white line disease, you need to talk to your farrier about prevention in the future. There are many people who keep their horses outside 24/7. If it's pasture, it can be okay. If it's turnout that can stay mud for days or weeks at a time, it and/or a chronically dirty stall can house the bacteria that causes this. I have become diligent about keeping my horse's hooves clean and dry at least 1/2 of the day (at night). My farrier has noticed. A few years back I had this problem, and he noticed that, too.
It's not impossible to cure, but they spend so much time on their feet, and it's worth caring for their feet.

HarpersMom 04-03-2013 11:24 PM

Hi Everyone - I was able to corner my farrier today and get some more info I thought might be worth sharing for the others battling this nasty stuff.
He said that he thought he was able to remove all of it, but if it was still there during our next shoeing he would use a boot with a product called "White Lightening". He said its really the miracle drug for white line disease and that it really makes a big difference.

Hope that helps everyone!