The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Whats Your Workout for the 2013 Show Season? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/whats-your-workout-2013-show-season-165609/)

MLBarsHoney 03-31-2013 01:37 PM

Whats Your Workout for the 2013 Show Season?

Hey everyone, I was starting to come out with my horse's workouts for the next couple months leading up to Show Season 2013, anyone want to share theirs? I need some ideas!! I've been looking for exercises along the lines of keeping her supple, getting that winter hay belly off, and keeping her mind engaged, as well as some fun stuff for both of us!

So, in short, what's your spring workout going to consist of?:-P

GamingGrrl 03-31-2013 02:02 PM

I'm a barrel racer, so I don't know how much help I'll be, but I do a lot of long trotting. I try to get a few good long trots in a week.
I use the EquiTrack app to record my speed and distance.
I also do a few breezes a month to remind my boy that he has speed as well as to work on speed control.
I compete in a few open shows a year too, so I'll mix in some pattern and trail class work.
Posted via Mobile Device

JustWingIt 03-31-2013 03:14 PM

I do hunter/jumpers with my boy. This spring we're hitting the trails for some good hill work. We are both a bit frazzled from being inside all winter in our little indoor so it will be refreshing and help get us both back in shape.

princecharming 04-02-2013 07:11 PM

I'm an eventer, so ours is:
1X a week-jumping-gymnastics
2X a week-dressage work in the ring
1-2X a week- fieldwork, trotsets, gallops. sometimes a trail ride. I also play polocrosse, so usually i have a polocrosse practice and one day of fieldwork)
1X a week- course work(usually a lesson)

I just try to get off farm(for lessons, practice, cross country) often, go to a few warmup shows or hunter paces combined with a lot of muscle building work outside to get my horse mentally ready for show season, as well as physically :)

Joe4d 04-02-2013 07:22 PM

I ride endurance, got discouraged when my mare got hurt in december, shes fine now and I need to get my but in gear and start doing some fast gait work and loping 15-20 miles at a time. I think I am also facing the reality that I am not gonna be as competitive as Id like to be with a TWH. So kinda putting things on the back burner. Maybe take a year off and just go back to fun rides. Sell emma and keep eyes open for the right horse.

LynnF 04-02-2013 08:34 PM

1 day a week I will go for a long ride out and do tons of long trotting mixed with walk and canter.
2-3 days of flat work in the arena working on getting supple and responsive, working on compressing and extending the stride at all 3 gaits, tons of circles figures etc. (sometimes I throw in some poles)
1 day of jumping (I start small with just poles and low jumps until the horse is legged up a bit then start with courses and bigger jumps).
As my horse gets in shape I will add an extra day of jumping some weeks. I always give my horse at least 2 days a week off and I make sure they are not in a row, try and split them up so they don't get stiff after a couple days off in a row.
Good luck! I find the best thing for getting me in shape is getting a horse in shape!

MLBarsHoney 04-05-2013 09:35 AM

Thanks so much for all the responses everyone! :D

faye 04-06-2013 04:35 AM

my youngster will have the following:

3 x a week in the school (this could be either lunging or riding depending on my time constraints and his mood)
3 x per week on a hack, this will get longer as the nights get longer!

on Day 7 he will normaly go to a show or have the day off. If he goes to a show then he will get the next day off and we will do 2x in the school and 3 hacks the next week.

makin tracks 04-06-2013 07:10 AM

I'm reading your question differently.

My bloke is green so if we go to a show this season (time constraints may beat us) I'm sticking with the basics

walk, trot and canter with simple change plus a hand gallop (if he's being good) and a halt from trot. Possible a rein back dependant on the class.