The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   English Flatwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/english-flatwork-165689/)

JaneyWaney9 03-31-2013 04:27 PM

English Flatwork

This is Comet and I a few days ago.
Feel free to critique!!

What I see:
- a bit of a chair seat at the canter
- maybe put my hands forward more...it can be tough with him because I want to give him a pretty loose rein.
- he's a bit stiff at times

Jacqua Stud 04-01-2013 08:39 PM

First off I'll say how lovely you ride your sitting trot, it is very soft and you look comfortable in the saddle. As you said your legs do need to come back under you a little bit, but that will come with time & more core control, lean back a little more to help reduce how forward you leg looks. If you focus on your abdominal area a little bit more (tensing ever so slightly through your stomach - but not so much you stop breathing!) it can help with your hands as you are a bit wobbily, a bit in both but a little more in your right hand. When posting use your belly button to pull you forward, your pelvis should be moving to your hands, not your hands to your pelvis. Act as if you are pushing a plate back on the table with just your pelvis, your hands are not allowed to move, and neither are your shoulders. This means instead of just going 'up' when rising you have a forward motion.
Not sure how you feel about his head carriage, but if you continue to push actively in trot and shorten your reins I don't see any reason for him not to come up into your hands (as in english they look for their poll to be the highest point).
Hope this helps and good luck!

katec1991 04-02-2013 02:14 PM

It looks like your stirrups are a little too long. Maybe shorten them a hole or two?

JaneyWaney9 04-02-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacqua Stud (Post 2098178)
First off I'll say how lovely you ride your sitting trot, it is very soft and you look comfortable in the saddle. As you said your legs do need to come back under you a little bit, but that will come with time & more core control, lean back a little more to help reduce how forward you leg looks. If you focus on your abdominal area a little bit more (tensing ever so slightly through your stomach - but not so much you stop breathing!) it can help with your hands as you are a bit wobbily, a bit in both but a little more in your right hand. When posting use your belly button to pull you forward, your pelvis should be moving to your hands, not your hands to your pelvis. Act as if you are pushing a plate back on the table with just your pelvis, your hands are not allowed to move, and neither are your shoulders. This means instead of just going 'up' when rising you have a forward motion.
Not sure how you feel about his head carriage, but if you continue to push actively in trot and shorten your reins I don't see any reason for him not to come up into your hands (as in english they look for their poll to be the highest point).
Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks, this helps! I worked on that today to push his hind end and shorten my reins, he wasn't too pleased at first, but he did respond very well. It's just something I need to get him in the habit of doing!

JaneyWaney9 04-02-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katec1991 (Post 2105857)
It looks like your stirrups are a little too long. Maybe shorten them a hole or two?

I've had an issue with stirrup length, it's weird. The next hole up is too short, and I can't get a secure leg and I can't sink my heels. I punched a hole halfway between the length they are at and the next hole, but that still is too short. They may be a bit long, but I don't have an issue with keeping heels down or losing a stirrup, so I've been okay with it. I prefer to have longer stirrups in flatwork because I can feel his stride a lot better.

JustDressageIt 04-02-2013 07:48 PM

A few notes:
- Your horse's hind end is not engaged. Yes, his head is down, but he's very much on the forehand with his hind end just kind of hanging out like "dum de dum de dum" - he should be powering from the hind end. Shorten your reins and get him on contact. Get his butt to work harder - a dressage whip can really help.
- Because of your long reins, you've got your wrists cocked inwards so you've broken the line from elbow to bit. Shorten your reins and keep your wrists straight.
- Elbow bent and in, thumbs up.
- At the sitting trot your hands are pumping back and forth, you want them to be soft and quiet and flowing with the motion so when you pick up contact you aren't bumping him in the mouth every stride.
- At the canter especially you've got quite the chair seat going on; that is partially due to your horse's downhill conformation. Try to bring your heel back under you. Can you get a video of you with your leathers up a hole? I bet that is going to help in the long run even if it feels strange now.
- It looks like at the canter you're either consciously or subconsciously checking the reins at every stride - do you notice that? It could be a carry over from the lack of flow at your sitting trot.
- You do have a very nice flowing seat :)

tealamutt 04-08-2013 10:48 PM

Is your saddle a smidge too small for you?