The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Turning out to pasture while "in training". Advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/turning-out-pasture-while-training-advice-16570/)

equinkel 10-25-2008 09:12 PM

Turning out to pasture while "in training". Advice?

My boarding stable puts all the stall boarded horses out to pasture on a daily basis. My horse is suppose to start next week, has anyone had any increased training problems once they started turning out there horse? Aggression, more stubborn, etc? My horse is a Off the Track Thoroughbred and he has been doing really well lately and I want to keep him on the right path. I'm wondering if it's best to turn him out or not. Any suggestions?

equineangel91 10-25-2008 11:11 PM

absolutely not. My horse is turned out all day long. he sleeps in his stall but in summer he's out 24/7 weather permitting

honestly it should make for a calmer happier horse. Theres no reason for stubborness to ensue or any kind of aggression. They're out in a more natural environment, so they are so much more willing to work

my horse comes to me, Stand perfectly still wen i come to get him from the pasture, doesnt fight, has never bucked, and is always very calm and is almost bomb proof. I think that his natural time really allows him to be happy to come to work. He actually opens his mouth to get his bit...he'll pick it up off the ground its adorable.

I think horses with plenty of pasture time are overall happier to come work and are generaly calmer. I've seen no problems arise from it. He wasnt always turned out all the time, but the improvement came with it. I'd highly reccomend it =D I like the idea of them feeling freer

JustDressageIt 10-25-2008 11:50 PM

I'm shocked to hear of any barn not giving turnout to horses.
If anything, they burn off more energy while out playing and make quieter horses.
I absolutely do not understand the mentality behind keeping a horse inside all day and night.
Horses need to be horses.. it's not natural or good for their mental health to be cooped up in a stall all day.

SonnyWimps 10-26-2008 10:09 AM

I agree with the above, it will make a calmer horse.
A horse should NOT be locked up in a stall for the rest of his life...how boring could that be? It can cause weaving, cribbing, wood biting, etc.

My horse is extremely dominant with me at times...but out in the pasture he gets the crap beat out of him at times because he's reallly low on the pecking order. So their personality out in the field does not mean the same with you.

I'd definately turn him out...all the time, day and night, if possible. It's healthier for him!

JustDressageIt 10-26-2008 11:17 AM

Unfortunately I stall board my horse at the moment. He is so skinny I want to keep an eye on him and his weight, and monitor exactly what he's taking in. But he's inside at night and turned out during the day.
I personally would never board a horse at a barn that didn't turn out during the day.
I do realize that most race TBs are kept in 23/7, which is all day except when they go and run... I do not agree with this one bit. I do believe that horses need time to be .. well.. horses!
I have never heard adverse things to a horse being turned out... they might play for a while (bucking, rearing, running around a lot) but then they settle in and realize it's not that big of a deal.

equinkel 10-26-2008 05:50 PM

Thanks for the response. My boarding place offers pasture and stall board. The stall boarders (which is what I'm doing) go out for most of the day and come in at night. My family has been in the horse racing industry my whole life so it was normal for me to see the horses inside all the time. I do want my horse to be in the pasture but I was just wondering how it affected their behavior. Do the people that show there horses turn them out all the time too? What about the chance of other horses kicking them, cuts, scrapes, etc. Doesn't that effect their show appearance? I'm not saying agree one way or another but I'm just trying to get some feedback

SonnyWimps 10-26-2008 05:57 PM

A good friend of mine shows her horse ALL the time...and she keeps them outside all the time.
They are horses, they can get cuts and scrapes even in a stall..you can't wrap them in bubble wrap hehe
Not really...I showed my horse and he had a nice bald spot on his rump from a horse bite...and he placed fine even in equitation

JustDressageIt 10-26-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equinkel (Post 174847)
Thanks for the response. My boarding place offers pasture and stall board. The stall boarders (which is what I'm doing) go out for most of the day and come in at night. My family has been in the horse racing industry my whole life so it was normal for me to see the horses inside all the time. I do want my horse to be in the pasture but I was just wondering how it affected their behavior. Do the people that show there horses turn them out all the time too? What about the chance of other horses kicking them, cuts, scrapes, etc. Doesn't that effect their show appearance? I'm not saying agree one way or another but I'm just trying to get some feedback

My show horses have always been turned out; if not 24/7 then stall boarded with outdoor turnout from about 8am to 6pm.
There is always the chance of them getting cut up/bitten/hurt .. but that risk will be with anything.

equineangel91 10-26-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyWimps (Post 174579)
I agree with the above, it will make a calmer horse.
A horse should NOT be locked up in a stall for the rest of his life...how boring could that be? It can cause weaving, cribbing, wood biting, etc.

My horse is extremely dominant with me at times...but out in the pasture he gets the crap beat out of him at times because he's reallly low on the pecking order. So their personality out in the field does not mean the same with you.

I'd definately turn him out...all the time, day and night, if possible. It's healthier for him!

Lol i love how my horse lives. He's only ever in the stall at night when its rele rele cold or if its just plain boiling in the summer. he's outisde 99% of the time and i love that. It definitely makes him a very happy boy

hotreddun 10-27-2008 10:59 AM

I've tried all variations (staying in all the time because the BO was psycho and hated my horse...left that barn asap...day out night in boarding...boarding where my horses paddock was attached to the stall...and out all the time with a pasture 3 sided shelter) My horse really prefers to be out all the time. Although I don't think he could survive like "real" pasture horses without his 3-sided shelter. If it even starts to mist he hauls butt to his little shelter...its kind of funny:D My horse is a much better performer when he is out all the time...he gets really grouchy about having to stand in a stall...not to mention his joints get stiff and the warm-up takes twice as long.