The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Show show and more shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/show-show-more-shows-165737/)

Lucy1320 03-31-2013 06:31 PM

Show show and more shows

Ok so this summer I'm doing like every show because we got a trailer and I nNed a lot of experience if i wanna do good at fair this yr. well there are Sunday shows that are fancy shows where your in full blown show clothes and everything, then on Saturdays are casual fun open shows. I want to go to both how do I convince my mom to go to both?. Or should I even go to both?

Cacowgirl 03-31-2013 06:52 PM

How's that money tree growing? Seriously,showing is expensive-start with the more casual shows & see how you do. Talk to your parents maybe & find out what they are willing to do-it's also a time comittment-so see what they are comfortable with as W/E hours usually have lots of family chores that have to get done. Maybe you could help out more?

waresbear 03-31-2013 07:16 PM

That is a lot of showing and sitting around for your parents who, I assume are doing the driving and watching you. Start off small, and save the two day shows for the end of the year.

alexischristina 03-31-2013 08:50 PM

I suggest you print out a couple calendar sheets, mark down all of the shows that you can go to and bring it to your parents. Ask them which shows they can take you to, work around their schedule. You don't need to go to every single show- believe me, it's exhausting and hard on your parents and their wallets. You don't need to 'convince' your parents, you need to ask what they are willing to do.

HorseMom1025 03-31-2013 10:18 PM

I'm a show mom, so let me tell you how we do it.

Every year, I make a list of all the shows in our area. The list includes location, distance, whether we need a hotel (plus average hotel cost), show entry fees, stall fees, classes, and any other info I can gather.

I then look at a calendar and pencil in the shows. Then, my daughter's trainer works with us to help us decide which shows/classes would be best for my daughter and her horse (based on their readiness).

Once we have ALL that data, I select one show per month. I do not allow my daughter to show more than once per month. I do this for a variety of reasons.

1) Shows are expensive. I'm willing to budget up to $300 per month for a show (all inclusive: hotel, coach, stall, gas, entry fees)...and honestly that only covers ONE show at my daughters current level (local show by our horseman's assoc).

2). I don't want my daughter OR her horse to get arena sour. If all they do is show or practice for a show, I notice that both of them lose their spark.

3). While I love watching my daughter show, her Father and I would like to have a life too. We go to the stable 3 nights a week. I'm willing to give up one weekend a month. Since my husband and I both work full-time, I need my weekends to catch up on chores and take care of our family's other needs.

3b). We have other pets, so finding someone to watch our dogs every weekend would be difficult if not impossible.

So, be reasonable in your request. Do your research, know every expense and check the family calendar...then work out a proposal to your parents that includes the needs of the family too.

Be careful that you do not come across as selfish and entitled. Your tone and approach must be respectful. If I ever feel like my child is trying to dictate my life/schedule...I know I would shut it down fast, up to and including taking away her show privileges.
Posted via Mobile Device

JustWingIt 03-31-2013 10:28 PM

I would worry less about 'convincing' your parents and worry more about having a respectful conversation with them and deciding what you are all willing/able to do.

I won't say anything else because HorseMom pretty much said it all :)
Posted via Mobile Device