The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Natural Hackmore/Bitless??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/natural-hackmore-bitless-16576/)

HorsesAreForever 10-25-2008 09:42 PM

Natural Hackmore/Bitless???

Im plannin on buying a natural hackamore for chance from

Half Circle Ranch

if you click on hackamores its the first one!

What do you think about them??

Should I get teh stiffer one or the softer one?

The stiffer one has 4 knots which will give me a bit better control if something was to happen

and the softer one only had 2...

Hope to get answer ASAP!! want to make decision quick thankss in advance!!!

Joshie 10-25-2008 11:01 PM

Our trainer sometimes uses one he fashioned himself using a piece of rope on a bridle. He uses either this bitless bridle or a snaffle bit.

HorsesAreForever 10-26-2008 09:47 AM

Thanks yeah I use to use a bit but chance just hates them so I need something bitless.

Anyone else??

SonnyWimps 10-26-2008 10:06 AM

I already explained, but I'll do on here so everyone knows also hehe

A stiff rope halter/hackamore isn't the best thing to ride in because it will give unclear cues, and will delay your cue so the horse won't react as soon as the rider needs/wants.
Picture it this way...
There are two knots on the nose piece...those knots then you ask to stop are to put pressure on the nose in a certain place in order to stop the horse.
Your horse is galloping out of control, and heading for a cliff...your horse likes to fly hehe.. Anyways...you see the cliff and pull back on the reins to stop your horse, since your horse knows how to do sliding stops. How much pressure will you need to use to make that stiff nose band, put the knots in the correct spot and give the correct ammount of pressure to get your horse to stop before you fly to your doom?

A soft one is formed around the nose, so the reaction time is less and on your part you'll need less pressure (but to the horse it will be the same ammount of pressure)

If you are going to get a rope hackamore, I do suggest the softer rope material. I use the rope hackamore with Sonny and he listens better than in a bit normally.

I have the Parelli halter...just bought it, just used it for the first couple of times. I used to use a stiff rope halter. I immediately saw Sonny react quicker, better and I had to use less pressure to do a simple turn.

JustDressageIt 10-26-2008 11:26 AM

Personally, when I hear someone say "I need a bitless/hack because my horse hates the bit" I think improper training, where the horse hasn't been taught to accept and work with the bit.
Now, I am not bashing you here HAF... but that is my honest opinion.
There is a trend going now to use a bitless bridle or hack because it's "gentler" and the horse "doesn't need to feel the pain of the bit" - phooey. If you have light hands, the bit does not induce pain! If the bit is fitted correctly and you are using the right type of bit... there is no pain!!!
Now, I am aware that Chance is young and doesn't have much training. A lot of people mistake lack of training for bit problems when it's not... have you consulted a trainer about this?
Another thing - a lot of people mistake pain in other areas as the horse not accepting the bit - is she sore anywhere? Does your tack fit properly?
Anyways, that's my little rant..

Harlee rides horses 10-26-2008 01:16 PM

I agree with JDI.

SonnyWimps 10-26-2008 04:31 PM

there is nothing wrong with a bitless bridle or a hackamore. Personally for starting a young horse, I think it's best to use one of those because with a young horse, you ARE going to get upset, and you ARE going to do things because that horse upset you. Also it teaches them to listen to more subtle cues.
Just my insight.

And HAF saying that Chance doesn't like the bit doesn't mean she won't take it fine.
Sonny doesn't like his bit, but does that mean he won't take it? No, he'll take it fine, but he doesn't like it.

SonnyWimps 10-26-2008 04:37 PM

also, what do you get more?
"Wow, you're horse is GREAT because you can ride him in a bit? I wish my horse did that!!"
or
"Wow, you're horse is great because you can ride him bitless? I wish my horse did that!!"

HorsesAreForever 10-26-2008 04:39 PM

Thanks sonny :)

Chance will take the bit fine and will work in it fine. Nor am I getting a bitless hackamore because i think theres pain. I rode her in the barns bitless bosal and she worked off of it well and seemed to enjoy the bitless more. And was more rounded and more relaxed so I beleive going bitless with her is just better.

HorsesAreForever 10-26-2008 04:40 PM

Heh Jenny just saw your second post made me lol! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Its true though :P