The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What kind of manure fork do you use? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-kind-manure-fork-do-you-16580/)

travlingypsy 10-25-2008 10:30 PM

What kind of manure fork do you use?

Ive been looking at forks and dont know what kind to get so what do you use and the pros/cons!

horsey*kisses 10-25-2008 11:09 PM

mmm...mine looks like a pitchfork almost, but the prongs are closer, its marroon and plastic lol
its good for picking all of it up and it gets pretty much everything
the only problem is if you leave it where your horses can get it and they step on it it breaks...lol i also sometimes use a regular pitchfork with ten prongs because they are closer together

travlingypsy 10-26-2008 12:36 AM

Oh you mean like the dura fork
http://www.yourequinestore.com/Produ...12-6000107.gif

kickshaw 10-26-2008 11:15 AM

we use dura forks, super forks, future forks...they're all basically the same thing.

I don't like the ones that have the tines super close together - - I also prefer a metal handle to a wooden one :-)

Vidaloco 10-26-2008 12:58 PM

It depends on what I'm doing. If Im picking up major poop I like my stable fork which is deeper than the normal one. If I'm just cleaning out the horse trailer I like the normal fork.
I like a none wood handle too.

Appyt 10-26-2008 01:04 PM

I have a wood handle and a metal handle and I really prefer the feel of the wood, especially if I don't have gloves on. But you must keep those out of the weather or then will make you unhappy. :(

I also have the simple plastic head(like the one pictured) and like it best.. I have the reinforced? type with the cross bars but I really do not like it unless i am only picking out a stall bedded in pellets or picking on dirt. They don't work well with hay or straw etc. If I kept my horses stalled more I would want a deep one basket type to keep stuff from falling off the sides and back.

travlingypsy 10-26-2008 02:18 PM

Ooooh I hate the metal kind! For me when im doing to padocks all I get is more dirst and less poop! And it dosen glide under my pile like the plastic ones do.
I have to buy a fork because I broke one at the barn! You brake it you buy it, kinda sucks cause im the one who does the padock side so most of the horses go out there....

Appyt 10-26-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlingypsy (Post 174713)
Ooooh I hate the metal kind! For me when im doing to padocks all I get is more dirst and less poop! And it dosen glide under my pile like the plastic ones do.
I have to buy a fork because I broke one at the barn! You brake it you buy it, kinda sucks cause im the one who does the padock side so most of the horses go out there....

Then buy a cheap one.. If you only broke the head you can just buy a replacement head. And I don't think that's quite right.. Ok, if it was a basically new piece of equipment sure. But manure forks(plastic ones) break all the time. sheesh.. I have one that I busted one tine out of, makes it hard to use but I do use it at times and it works to move hay around. ;)

iridehorses 10-26-2008 03:10 PM

I've been using a Super Fork for over 20 years. It came with a metal handle that I covered with duct tape and I always planned on replacing it but it won't break. I've run over that fork with a pickup, horses have stepped on it, and nothing affects it.

SonnyWimps 10-26-2008 06:02 PM

the one I bought was expensive, but the store said that if it broke I could return it...so I bought it lol
Don't have a picture of it though. I don't have it anymore though.......my mom insisted we leave it for the old BO :roll: