The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Exercising Other Peoples Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/exercising-other-peoples-horses-165961/)

Breezy2011 03-31-2013 10:24 PM

Exercising Other Peoples Horses

Okay well... Last night I posted an ad on Kijiji about exercising and working with horses. This was late at night, about 11 pm or later, and I have posted an ad before about this, but nobody got back to me. Well... great news, I got 3 replies!!!!

Now, in my ad, I was clear on how old I was, I showed a picture of my riding horses, and doing ground work and I was honest on my knowledge of horses, and what I would do.

One lady is close to where I live, she wan't me to help her out and ride her horses with and for her. She wants to meet me, so I am calling her tomorrow, and making arrangements!!!

The second reply was a person who has 6 tennesse walkers, He has 2 geldings who are green broke... and he doesn't have that much time to ride them, because of his 4 other ones. I emailed back asking where he was... because it all depends on where he lives, if I can go out (I don't have my licence yet, so my parents will drive me, they agreed to this) But if I do have the chance to go out and work with these two TW's, I have a little bit of a problem... well not really, but I have never rode a gaited horse. I don't know what to expect with these two horses... I will probably only work with the 2 green broke ones if I go out there, but I might work with others too.
Any information on how different a gaited horse is, please let me know!

The last ad.... well, this guy did not really want me to ride a horse for him... but he said in his exact words, copied from his email:
'I have a quarter horse Morgan paint cross she's 3-4 years old she has been untouchable from a year on! !!! She's yours if you think you can do something with her for free trainer make a profit! !'
Now, I think he just offered me to take a free horse, and sell her for my profit. What do you all think? He said she is mine for free, trainer make a profit... I think he might be saying he wants to give her to me, but I also think he wants me to take her, train her some, and give her back... for a profit...

I talked to my parents about this ad, and we are debating whether I want to take her or not, if that is what he means, because... I board Breeze for free... I dont really want to start bringing animals to a place where they eat up hay and take up room and not pay. We are going to talk to the owner, and see if we can make an arrangement to take her for summer, and sell her in fall, so I can make a profit.

If this is what this guy means, giving her to me... and the owner says it is okay to get a horse for late spring and summer, what do you all think I should do?

I know this horse will help me with training Breeze, and it will also allow me to enter horse shows, riding, ponying Breeze, and going on trail rides... all of which I cannot do with Breeze. It will also give me more experience with working with a younger horse.

waresbear 03-31-2013 10:33 PM

He is giving it to you because it is unsellable, because you can't catch it, halter it, meaning it's hooves have never been done, etc. If you can rope it, it's yours, and good luck getting it on a trailer & bringing it home, lol. Choose the horses you ride for free, carefully! Around here, if I posted an add like that, I would have replies coming out of my ying yang. You make sure you only work with safe ones, in safe surroundings. Good Luck.

Breezy2011 03-31-2013 10:37 PM

I am not riding for free though... I will be getting paid.
As for the morgan x, Breeze was the same way, she was untouchable, not halter broke, etc. I had to do everything with her, and he said that she hasn't been touched in a year or so... so she was probably handed as a foal or yearling. If I do take her, I will look at her first, see how she reacts to people and stuff, then decide if I want to take her home. There have also been a few free horses on kijiji, just because people are either moving, don't have room, or just plain old, don't want it.

LoveMyDrummerBoy 03-31-2013 10:39 PM

If you do decide to take her, please get a PPE before you do take her. A free horse could end up costing you a large amount of money if she is unhealthy.

Also, I would say that you should go meet the mare before making a decision, and see if you really like her disposition. You don't want to take a horse that you will have to either try to sell/give away again if you guys don't work out.

Do you have a trainer that can help you with a green broke horse?

Congrats on the other two calls too! I have no idea about gaited horses, but it is great that you are starting to work horses for money. I remember being so excited when I started. How long until you get your license? I think that you should start with a smaller client base, and then work up to a larger one, once you get a car. I took in a lot more volume after getting a car.

Breezy2011 03-31-2013 10:46 PM

I am getting my licence this november. I do have a trainer I can contact if I need help. I think this is a perfect way gain experience riding young and green broke horses because I am wanting to become a horse trainer when I graduate from school, and make money all at the same time! I get to do what I love, and make a profit while I am at it!

The first reply to my ad, I have seen her horses, and I have kind of met her (not actually talked to her or anything) but I know what her horses look like, and know how some of then act (I have met some of her horses)

tbcrazy 03-31-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy2011 (Post 2088769)
I am getting my licence this november. I do have a trainer I can contact if I need help. I think this is a perfect way gain experience riding young and green broke horses because I am wanting to become a horse trainer when I graduate from school, and make money all at the same time! I get to do what I love, and make a profit while I am at it!

For my first few green/unbroke horses, I worked WITH a trainer every step of the way, I did not wait until I had a question or a problem. Learning at the same time a green horse is learning is a good way to get hurt. To create a confident animal, you have to already know what you're doing. Becoming a horse trainer sounds nice in theory, but to go about it without the help of a trainer for the first few years seems backwards to me :/

And I am sorry for sounding pessimistic, but it will be a matter of when there are problems, not if; nothing personal, just the nature of working with an unbroke animal. And you need experience to be able to work through them, hence the trainer. Few people on this forum will say, if any, that a person unfamiliar with working an unbroke horse will complete the process of breaking smoothly without any hiccups. If I were you, I would contact the trainer sooner rather than later to help you :)

LoveMyDrummerBoy 03-31-2013 11:47 PM

Agreed. I have been apprenticing under my trainer for a couple of years, and I will continue one more summer before I start thinking of starting my own training business. It can be done to start on your own, but starting the way I did has already helped me get my foot in the door for potential future clients.

Breezy2011 03-31-2013 11:52 PM

I have worked with young and green broke horses before, I have been thrown, but I have gotten back on. I have went through fences and still got back on, even with a huge bruise from where a horse stepped on me. I do know a lot about working with young and green broke horses, and I think I am ready to do it by myself, and only contact my trainer if I need help.

I have ridden green broke horses for at least the last 2 years, last year I hopped on a 3-4 year old green broke mare at a camp I went too, she was JUST broke, but I handled her great for the most part. There were a few minor issues, but that related to an injury she had that we did not know about until after she tried to buck me off, and rear, and stuff.

I do however, think I am ready to ride green broke horses without my trainer with me.

tbcrazy 03-31-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy2011 (Post 2089361)
I have worked with young and green broke horses before, I have been thrown, but I have gotten back on. I have went through fences and still got back on, even with a huge bruise from where a horse stepped on me. I do know a lot about working with young and green broke horses, and I think I am ready to do it by myself, and only contact my trainer if I need help.

I have ridden green broke horses for at least the last 2 years, last year I hopped on a 3-4 year old green broke mare at a camp I went too, she was JUST broke, but I handled her great for the most part. There were a few minor issues, but that related to an injury she had that we did not know about until after she tried to buck me off, and rear, and stuff.

I do however, think I am ready to ride green broke horses without my trainer with me.

Have you ever worked with a horse that was basically unhandled? And not halter broke? That is a whole 'nother ballgame... From that description of the mare, she did not sound even green broke...

How many horses have you put the very first ride on? And all the ground work etc leading up to it? Something else to consider...

Breezy2011 04-01-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbcrazy (Post 2089401)
Have you ever worked with a horse that was basically unhandled? And not halter broke? That is a whole 'nother ballgame... From that description of the mare, she did not sound even green broke...

My filly. Breeze was untouched, not halter broke, was scared of people, and unhandled. I halter broke her, trained her to lead, pick up feet, desensitizing to a lot of stuff, lunge, tie, and everything she knows I taught her. And I will be putting the first rides on her and everything.

I know I made mistakes with Breeze, but I fixed them, and I have learned what not to do, and what to do.

I am not trying to start a training business, I am wanting to ride young horses, or horses of any age, right now. I am not calling myself a trainer. I am saying that is what I want to become.