The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   Me & Bo (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/me-bo-166017/)

PalominoBuck 03-31-2013 11:33 PM

Me & Bo

3 Attachment(s)
Me and Bo the story begins.

Mochachino 03-31-2013 11:35 PM

Sweet, but give us some details about Bo!

PalominoBuck 03-31-2013 11:38 PM

I will, sorry, I just got busy.
Posted via Mobile Device

PalominoBuck 04-01-2013 12:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry this is a lengthy the story. I had picked out a Perlino Quarter Horse and bought him, but I was having a hard time bonding with him. Which is why the owner was selling him to begin with. But I thought I might have better luck. I tried, he is gentle and listens well, but is very hard to catch and seems very wary of people.
While I was there trying to bond with the Perlino, This Bay Roan Stallion QH kept being all lovey-dovey and affectionate to me And we started to bond. He is only about two and very green, which is not what I was really looking for. But you know how they say sometimes the horse picks out the owner. Bo picked me out and I fell in love with him. I always thought he was beautiful but out of my price range.
So one day I took my daughter and my grandchildren out to the ranch. And he warmed right up to them too. After they left, I sat on the horse trough for a while And Bo kept coming up to me snuggling and wanting attention. And so I prayed about what to do. The answer to my prayer was clear. I needed to buy Bo.
So that night I called the owner and I asked her if we could work something out.
She gave me a very good price and a payment plan and Bo was mine.
We also figured out a price for her to train him and teach me how to train him and a boarding price. She was great and we worked out something within my budget.
Saturday she taught me and my wife how to lunge him, clean his hooves and Bo did a great job. He is going to need a lot of training. And in the meantime I'm taking riding lessons to get better.
And so begins the story of me and Bo. I will keep you updated. I'm extremely happy. God has blessed me.
Here is a picture of Bo, me and my granddaughter on the morning of the day I bought him.

PalominoBuck 04-01-2013 12:49 AM

Also he is 15.1 hands and still growing. And I am going to have him gelded soon.

Skyseternalangel 04-01-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalominoBuck (Post 2099274)
Please read the thread on here " Me & Bo ", to see some short history.
My question is, if a horse decides that he is done, how do I convince him to do the exercise one more time, so that we can end on a positive note?

I've decided to respond here, and with my opinion since I am a lady (muaha loophole)

Sometimes, the horse is trying to tell you something. Sometimes we drill and drill for the same movement and kill their enthusiasm to try for us. When that happens, you need to take a break and come back to it later. Maybe break with a different exercise and try it again. Refresh the interest, as long as by the end of the session, you are ending on a good note.

PalominoBuck 04-01-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 2099738)
I've decided to respond here, and with my opinion since I am a lady (muaha loophole)

Sometimes, the horse is trying to tell you something. Sometimes we drill and drill for the same movement and kill their enthusiasm to try for us. When that happens, you need to take a break and come back to it later. Maybe break with a different exercise and try it again. Refresh the interest, as long as by the end of the session, you are ending on a good note.

Thank you that is a good idea. I also the loophole comment lol.
Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 04-01-2013 11:01 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you are trying to work on with this horse?

PalominoBuck 04-01-2013 11:06 PM

He is very green, we are teaching him to lunge and walk on a lead. Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 04-01-2013 11:10 PM

Okay so to teach him to lunge goes hand in hand with being led. They're the same concept except one is closer proximity.

Body language is being read, a rope is usually attached, and you are directing the horse where to go and at what speed.

^^ Hopefully you know all of the above.

Let me know if you still want to talk about this or not.