The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Weymouth Curb (

alexischristina 04-01-2013 01:21 AM

Weymouth Curb
Help me out guys. I'm selling some bits I bought in a tack lot and I can't for the life of me remember all the details of this bit... It's a Weymouth Curb and my question is... do they all have the rotating mouthpiece or is that a unique feature?

I remember the lady calling it a 'kangaroo bit' or something like that.

Anyway, really just trying to figure out what the heck I've got...

unclearthur 04-01-2013 05:59 AM

Weymouths usually have either loose or fixed cheeks. Rotating cheeks make it a specific type, and I can't remember what it's called. Doh! :P

And Kangaroo was a type of metal alloy which stayed silver coloured, rather than going yellow like nickel bits do :)

Tack Collector 04-01-2013 09:25 AM

Broad, flat rotating mouth is a Rutledge bit. This is the Pelham version that has been around since the dawn of time, lol.

Others are just called a swivel mouth bit, I believe.

unclearthur 04-01-2013 09:53 AM


Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 2090137)
... do they all have the rotating mouthpiece or is that a unique feature?

According to my Abbey list if the cheeks will rotate right around the mouthpiece it's a Banbury Weymouth :D

Tack Collector 04-01-2013 11:44 AM

Banbury weymouth picture: An old horse bit - a Banbury Weymouth

alexischristina 04-01-2013 04:00 PM

Thanks guys!
And this is why I'm not keeping them, lol. Don't know what they're for, what they do, how they work, so I don't think I'll be using them for awhile.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome