The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Favorite hoof conditioner? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/favorite-hoof-conditioner-166090/)

ThatAppy 04-01-2013 08:30 AM

Favorite hoof conditioner?

Which do you prefer? I know that a healthy horse will most likely (with some exceptions) have healthy hooves, but my guys always have dry hooves when they change pastures for summer. I've used hooflex and Fieblings (sp?), but I'm running low, sooo.. What one do you like best?

ThatAppy 04-01-2013 09:26 AM

Bump bump bump

Trinity3205 04-01-2013 09:44 AM

None. Plain ol water and good diet combined with proper trimming.

Dry feet are good. If its really exceptionally dry as a drought and the hoof cant be properly trimmed and is holding false sole because of it, I give the horse a good bath and let him stand in the shade in his puddle to dry. When hes about dry but his fetlocks are still wet, the hoof will be damp enough to trim.

Hoof conditioners do at best nothing and at worst actually harm the horn.
The Horse | Hoof Dressings: What Studies Show | TheHorse.com

Lockwood 04-01-2013 09:48 AM

I voted Other.
Good hooves come from the inside out, like you said.
I use the concentrated Horseshoer's Secret with high levels of Biotin and extra Copper and Zinc to round out my horse's diet. He is barefoot and has beautiful hooves!

ThatAppy 04-01-2013 10:03 AM

Interesting! Starting to second guess buying another bottle...

deserthorsewoman 04-01-2013 10:06 AM

Same here....balanced diet and water, if needed.

Oldhorselady 04-01-2013 10:45 AM

Yes, hoof topicals are a gimmick. The hoof only absorbs from the sole. Don't waste your money.

spirit88 04-01-2013 11:54 AM

I don't waste my money on hoof dressings they don't work.

Like others said diet and proper trimming. not claiming my horses hoofs are in great shape cause their not.

loosie 04-02-2013 04:40 AM

Can I say 'other'?? - the other being pea gravel, a pretty good hoof conditioner IME, or otherwise living on hard, dry, rough ground.

As Trinity has said, dry is good - it's the wet that's problematic. But if your horse has 'shelly' or 'peeling' or 'superficial cracks to the walls, chances are diet & nutrition could be better.

Joe4d 04-02-2013 12:21 PM

pretty much, if your horse has bad hooves its most likely diet and water related, some pea gravel near the water or soem other place they have to walk every day helps also. Healthy hooves come from the inside out, not the outside in. Your horses might benifit from some added vitamins, or a better quality feed or ration balancer.