The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Sunbleached? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/sunbleached-166162/)

xoxosalem 04-01-2013 10:20 AM

Sunbleached?

Anyone know of how to prevent sunbleaching in the summer and how to rid of it in the spring? I usually had light colored horses my whole life and I bought a sunbleached Bay, (Ace, in my Album) and I have no idea to rid of it or prevent it.. Tips?(:

texasgal 04-01-2013 10:35 AM

Only way to truly prevent it is to keep him out of the sun. imo. but there are some things you can do to minimize it and I'm sure you are about to hear all of them!

deserthorsewoman 04-01-2013 10:50 AM

I never had bleached horses....hmm.....
I had boarders with a TB and a Standie. The Standie they had bought from me, I had him for 5 years before selling him. The TB used to sweat a lot and that were the places where she was bleached. The last summer they were with me, she didn't sweat or bleach. She had a major diet change the winter before, took me a bit to convince her owner, but it seemed to have helped her. From the typical race horse diet, high grain, low hay, to free choice hay and a good low starch feed. That's nothing scientific, just my observation.

TrojanCowgirl 04-01-2013 03:44 PM

Yes! I'm going to be battling sun bleaching this summer too with my black horse.

1) Color Enhancing Shampoo and conditioner
2) Braid your horse's mane & tail
3) Sunblock!!
4) Fly Mask / Sheet
5) Paprika

The products I'm mainly using are:

Quic Black
Quic Screen Coat Sunscreen Spray
Shapely's M-T-G
Manna Pro Equine Fat Supplement (Oil for glossy coat)
Dark Horse Nu-Image

BigBenLoverforLife 04-03-2013 01:50 PM

I agree with TrojanCowgirl! I use a special coat suncreen, you can buy it from StateLineTack.com!

SullysRider 04-03-2013 02:01 PM

If you will be showing or competing and the association does drug testing do not, absolutely DO NOT, use paprika, it tests positive on drug tests.

ETA Make sure to check the ingredients of any coat enhancing supplements you use because most of them contain paprika

Breezy2011 04-03-2013 03:29 PM

I have a black horse who gets sun bleaches, I am going to try a new suppliment called SmartDark & Handsome. It is for Black horses, bays, and brown horses. It is suppose to restore the faded colour in the horses coat, and keep it from sun bleaching. I have not tried it, but will be trying it this summer. It has paprika in it, along with a few other ingredients. If you don't want to try it, you can always just use paprika.

I am also going to use Quic Black shampoo.

horsecrazygirl 04-04-2013 06:15 PM

What about the black as night stuff? does that work?