The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Bathing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/bathing-166178/)

xoxosalem 04-01-2013 12:17 PM

Bathing

Is it to cold to wash my horse in 59 degree Fahrenheit weather?
Its sunny and there is no wind . I am able to dry off the water with the sweating brush and I have blankets & stalls available..

AllyCee 04-01-2013 01:53 PM

I personally think that is still to cold to give a horse a bath. Even if you dry off some of the water off, you won't be able to dry him/her off all the way.

GamingGrrl 04-01-2013 02:13 PM

I think if you have heated water and absolutely need to bathe (for a show, skin condition) it would be fine but I would be hesitant to bathe with unheated water in that kind of weather.
Posted via Mobile Device

xoxosalem 04-01-2013 02:52 PM

Ok, well I did bathe him, I brang the heater in the barn 2 hours before and set the temperature to 90. When I came back it was so hot in the barn I was sweating so I figured he would def be fine considering I have heated water too.

ButtInTheDirt 04-04-2013 11:20 PM

I would say that is plenty warm, and I bathed one of my horses today and it was in the 50s, sunny, and minimal wind. I used warm water, and then I dried her off to the best of my abilities and then she was put in her stall. Horses are tougher than some people give them credit for. If it would have rained today I guarantee that all of my horses would have stood outside, gotten soaked and loitered in the pasture even though they have a shelter. My mare was damp and she didn't care about anything but eating her hay. As long as an animal is healthy, strong, and well taken care of they should have no problem in the cold, wet weather even without a blanket. Just my experience. I would use a rug if I had to on my oldest horses if they were taking winter particularly hard, but other than that and showing none of my horses have seen much of blankets.

walkinthewalk 04-05-2013 02:59 PM

You already bathed him and things went well:-)

I was going to say it depends on the horse.

I have one out of four horses that is "hot" enough to tolerate a bath in the conditions you mention, and I have bathed him in that kind of temp without issues.

Two other horses will easily tolerate a full sun bath when the temps hit the mid-70's.

The fourth, my Arab, needs to not only be in the full sun but he thinks the temps need to be a minimum of 85 degrees:shock: He just turned 27 so I try to be sympathetic:lol:

I need somebody to video the contortions he goes thru when the water hose hits him even at 80 degrees. And I use the soft spray on shower nozzle dial.

It's got to be around 95 degrees for him to actually enjoy getting a bath.

So ---- it depends on the horse:-P