The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Buying A Horse Out-Of-State (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/buying-horse-out-state-16626/)

QuarterPony 10-27-2008 09:27 AM

Buying A Horse Out-Of-State

I'm looking into buying two mares from a man in Iowa - I'm in Minnesota, so this plays a wee "Uh oh!" I don't know if I'll be able to go to Iowa, though - I was thinking about possibly just going down for a weekend, and doing something worthwhile after I met him and the mares... But with the prices of plane tickets and gas, who knows.

I was wondering if any of you had ever purchased a horse out-of-state/providence/etc? Of course I'm getting a vet out there for a vet check - and not his vet! Just wondering what else to do?

I know this is probably a pretty stupid question...but when I searched, I could find anything that helped me... :oops:

m

quarterhorsegirl 10-27-2008 10:50 AM

I live in Utah and I bought a horse in Louisianna, a 4yo TB and i talked to the owner everyday for a month before i got him exchanging information and past vet checks and every other details, he was shipped out to me and had absists on his feet and was lame for two months. so i would ask about a month trial that way if something is wrong you can always send them back

Vidaloco 10-27-2008 11:45 AM

Personally with all the horses on the market I would do my due diligence to find a horse locally. If this horse is "the one" then you should take the time to go to where he is and spend at least a few days there, make sure he is healthy and arrange shipping.

kickshaw 10-27-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 175205)
Personally with all the horses on the market I would do my due diligence to find a horse locally. If this horse is "the one" then you should take the time to go to where he is and spend at least a few days there, make sure he is healthy and arrange shipping.

good advice!

RusticWildFire 10-27-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 175205)

I very much agree! Good Luck :)

JustDressageIt 10-29-2008 12:42 AM

How's your decision coming along, Maggie??

KANSAS_TWISTER 10-29-2008 01:40 AM

flying right now?...would they let you on a plane ???...when your due in no time?.....hhhmmmm.......is this pony kept in a public ridding stable where you can get more info on it by calling the barn owner or just kept at a privet barn (home stable) ?

QuarterPony 10-29-2008 06:08 AM

Well, my lovely vet has agreed to go out for me (since I found I couldn't fly after so many weeks?) - he had wanted to visit family anyway, so this next weekend he's visiting the man and the mares...

I'll keep everyone updated, tehehehe.

RusticWildFire 10-29-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuarterPony (Post 176349)
Well, my lovely vet has agreed to go out for me (since I found I couldn't fly after so many weeks?) - he had wanted to visit family anyway, so this next weekend he's visiting the man and the mares...

I'll keep everyone updated, tehehehe.

Wow what a nice vet!!! Lucky.
Although I have a nice vet too. And the one before him was just awesome. When he left the last "patient" he had was my dog and he had to put her down due to cancer and when he was done he cried :(