The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Need some help with leasing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/need-some-help-leasing-166290/)

MAG1723 04-01-2013 01:45 PM

Need some help with leasing

Sorry if this is a double post, I wasn't getting ANY responses where I had it before :oops:

I have a potential leaser for my gelding but the problem is, I have never leased a horse. I have my horse ( which is off limits) and my gelding so its not like there are tons of other people at my barn. She will be coming whenever she wants, as long as she tells us before. What do I tell them to do? What can they have access to? What are things I HAVE to tell them?

Thanks

beau159 04-01-2013 01:50 PM

Get everything in writing. Everything.

Spell it out bit by bit in the leasing contract and have both parties sign it. That way, there is no confusion and it is all in writing.

You can search the internet for sample horse lease agreements, but it is always a good idea to check your STATE law for any horse laws that may already be in place.

As far as what goes into the lease, well that's is completely up to you and them to decide. If she needs to call you before she comes out to the barn, put that in there. If you will be responsible for paying and making appointments with the farrier, put that in there. Put the due date for the lease payment in the contract and spell out what will happen if she doesn't pay on time.

You always like to think about the good in people, but it is just better to think about every possible "bad" scenario, and put the details in the contract. Better to have it in writing than end up in court over something silly.

MAG1723 04-01-2013 01:53 PM

To add, he will be staying at my house

Cynical25 04-01-2013 02:31 PM

Good info from Beau! Spell it out if you horse must remain on your property and even where they are able to ride (can they take a 20 mile trail ride which could put them in the next state,) and who can ride the horse (can their spouse, kid, friend or just the leasor?) If the horse is injured while under the care of the leasor, who is responsible for vet bills? Put a dollar value on your horse that they would pay you if it should die under their care.

Then make sure to put your State's appropriate disclaimer/clause that says working with horses is inherently dangerous and the leasor waives any right to claim damages if they, or anyone they bring around, are injured.