The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   New horse , NOW what do I do??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/new-horse-now-what-do-i-1664/)

carriegeorge100 04-26-2007 03:19 PM

New horse , NOW what do I do???

I have had my haflinger gelding for 18 days. He is 11.

Some people say I should get on him everyday and ride. Some say I should let him settle in, just get to know him.

I did get on him, had an ok ride, just in the pasture.

Noticed that I did need some help cuz he would evade the bit. Yes his teeth were floated the day after I got him, vet said he really didn't need it.

But was I pushing it? I led him around outside the pasture - he did great. Lunged him in the pasture and I thought he hated it, he kept bolting off. So I just put a lead line on him and walked him around and he did great again. Advise Please.

sparky 04-27-2007 03:08 AM

Some horses just hate being lunged! Mine is exactly like that. Last time i tried to lunge her, she got away from me, and ran into the fence cutting up her back leg. So, i don't lunge her anymore.

You say you've had him for 18 days? I reckon thats sufficient time for him to get to know you, if you have been spending time with him. He may not trust you 100% just yet, but give it time and you will. To increase you bond, spend a lot of time together, groom him, work on groundwork. The first few rides just take it slow - he is your new horse and you need to adapt to each other. The pasture is great for riding in.

Hope this helps.

savepitbulls 04-27-2007 01:09 PM

I usually onle wait a day or two before staring a normal routine with a new horse as long as they seem comfortable. 18 days should be more than enough time. He probably wants to bilt while lunging in the pasture because he sees it as an opportunity. SOme horses have only been lunged in a round pen or an arena so when they get outside to an open area they think "oh good, time to play". If you're determined to lunge him in the pasture I'd start with very small circles so he knows its work time rather than play time. Small circles will help keep him focused on you more.

PrettyHorse 05-12-2007 11:34 AM

yep I'd agree with all of the above. 18 days is plenty of time. He might start thinking he's come to you to retire and then when you ask him to work, he'll just be upset about it. So ya, definately time to ride! But build on it, ride a little one day, a little more the next time. It is OKAY to take it really really slow. I had to learn that one the hard way. keep in touch.