The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hard liquior to cure collic? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hard-liquior-cure-collic-16640/)

travlingypsy 10-27-2008 04:40 PM

Hard liquior to cure collic?

When I was at a day camp this lady who owns beach horses. She is like the old cowboys... But any way she said that I think it was taquilla will cure collic. She said exactly how much but I forgot.

Is that true has anyone tried it? I know some people have given their horse beer, which whats the purpose of that?! But does it really work?

Painted Ride 10-27-2008 04:48 PM

at the first signs of colic i give mineral oil....whoo knows about the taquilla...but i think its cheaper to purchase mineral oil and more convienent....jmo. i know what taquilla does to people i wouldn't give it to my horse.:wink:

travlingypsy 10-27-2008 04:49 PM

What does the mineral oil do to prevent it? Just get things moving...?

chasin the dream 10-27-2008 04:51 PM

haha..YES! it works! my uncle had a perchie colicking and didn't know what to do.so they called a "horse firend" and she said if you have nothing give him some whiskey.and it worked!

now they use mineral oil though :) which im sure is much better.with the bran mash and stuff.i think its ok to use but only as a last resort.honestly

TheVelveteenPony 10-27-2008 04:52 PM

I always thought that was an old wives' tail.. considering what tequila does to my stomach I wouldn't think it would help colic

Angel_Leaguer 10-27-2008 04:55 PM

I would have a hard time giving my horse hard liquior to cure something... I guess know what it does to human cant be good for an animal, JMO though

chasin the dream 10-27-2008 04:58 PM

idk..it probably helps them just digest stuff.clear them out.im not really sure though.

appylover31803 10-27-2008 05:06 PM

My Vet actually doesn't like to oil horses. He says if it doesn't work, and the horse needs surgery, it can be very messy and leads to other things (I believe the oil being in their chest cavity)

We didn't oil Gem when he coliced, though he did stick a tube down his nose/throat and flushed it with water and that helped a lot.

chasin the dream 10-27-2008 05:22 PM

yeah.i mean my uncle could have called the vet but it was like 11 at night AND he is like an hour away.and the whiskey was right in the house.and poor mr marky was out there colicking and being walked around.i don't think he was given that much though

Royal Freckles 10-27-2008 11:00 PM

The liqur is used to relax the horse (and his muscles). Hence the reason drunk drivers never get seriously hurt, they are relaxed. Beer is bubbly, and since horses cannot burb it back up, it could not help or make the situation worse. The liqur also kills bacteria, that sometimes gets going and is believed to be a cause of some colics, or a result of it, depending on who you ask. Although sometimes who really knows why they colic :roll:. I have never used liqure, but I know some people who have and swear by it.