The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Lying Down? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/lying-down-16641/)

chasin the dream 10-27-2008 05:54 PM

Lying Down?

ok im sorry i know this is more of a natural horsemanship thing..but i thought also a training topic.

ok i was just wondering.what do u think is the easiest way to teach your horse to lay down? i thought it would be something fun to work on :)

Midwest Paint 10-27-2008 07:07 PM

The easiest way I can think of to explain it without taking all day to type it out.. LOL.. Is to stretch out one front leg forward, and fold the opposite leg up and under the horse, while using the poll pressure to help bring the head down. Once you get so far down, the horse naturally takes over and settles onto their belly, you can then lay them over. This of course comes with alot of confidence from the horse in you!

Tuffy'sTreatMan 10-28-2008 02:18 AM

The 1902 U.S. Cavalry Manual describes a method to teach horses to lay down on command. It was important for the military to get the horses down and lower the silhouette.

The method started them out using a rope to pull a front foot up and then easing them down. The method stressed being gental and doing it on soft ground so not to hurt the horse. With practice the horse learned to lay down on command and stay put under gun fire.

It is interesting that the Cavalry Manual stressed kindness and care to horses, and had an approach I'd call more of a natural horsemanship. There is a lot of information on feeding, health care, and training both horse and recruit.

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-28-2008 11:19 AM

The "kindest" way I've seen it taught was to basically use a hobble on one foot ,say horse's left front, with a lead attached to it. (the hobble buckles and never gets tighter so it's not causing any discomfort) then the lead is pulled up and dallied one time around the saddle horn. Now what you would do with a horse that TRUSTS you is ask or cue for "back". The horse will lean back and eventually lay down. Once the hose is down you un-dally the lead of course. It must be done in a controlled environment and a soft spot to lay in...also this can be very hard on your saddle...I suggest using your hubby's :wink:.

There really is TOO much to explain it properly on here. What I wrote above is really a condenced "nutshell" form of the method. Because you are also wanting to teach the cue to do this while you are using the leads. I saw it done for an older rancher gentleman that had had a stroke and lost the use of his arm and some in his leg, yet he still ranched. So the horse was taught to lay down so this man could mount and work. I'll try to find a link for you that may explain it better.

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-28-2008 11:40 AM

sorry for the double post.... I've found a video that shows what it will basically look like. This horse has obvious trust for it's owner. I chose this video because the horse is so calm and happy. It should always look this easy! :D

Tuffy'sTreatMan 10-28-2008 12:33 PM

Nice video!!

Notice how the woman generously applies a treat to the horse's lips!

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-28-2008 05:38 PM

LOL... Bribery helps! :wink:

chasin the dream 10-28-2008 07:32 PM

wow thanks guys.i deffinately want to try that! ive tried before a while ago..but shes come a long way so im going to try again this weekend!

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-28-2008 08:44 PM

Be careful and wear your helmet! I've seen the horse swing it's head to the side and give the owner a heck of a whallop! Laying down isn't natural for the horse if its in the least bit scared! Good Luck!