The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   APHA Late Bloomer? Growth after age 7.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/apha-late-bloomer-growth-after-age-166410/)

Alekazam 04-01-2013 03:56 PM

APHA Late Bloomer? Growth after age 7....

Anyone ever had or heard of a horse gaining height after age 7, almost age 8? This guy happens to be APHA, but any breed really, wouldn't matter to me, would like to hear other's experiences.

I bought him as a just turned 3 year old, he was about 14.2 hands. He just won't stop growing! Is now pushing 16.2 hands, and others have commented that he seems taller than last fall even. He just turned 8.

Critter sitter 04-01-2013 04:26 PM

hmmm very interesting

beau159 04-01-2013 04:41 PM

I swear my old horse Beau grew another inch when he was about 5 years old.

I think we had measured him earlier in the year and he was just about 16.0 hands.

Then I went riding with my cousin later that year, and rode the stud my horse was by. I could really feel the similarities in the way they moved and I commented on the stud's stride. I don't exactly remember our exact conversation, but it made me second guess Beau's height.

Sure enough, that fall, Beau was just a hair under 16.1 hands. I know for a fact he was only 16.0 hands that spring because we were very careful to measure both times.

He was a paint (breeding stock). I thought for sure he would have been done growing in height by then but I guess not!

smrobs 04-01-2013 05:24 PM

I had a Mustang that shot up 2 inches when I started riding him the fall of his 5 year old year. It's not really common for a horse to continue to grow any significant amount that much later into life, but it does occasionally happen.

For what it's worth, horses will often continue to add muscle and bulk until they are well over 8 years old. My old retiree, Denny, got bulkier every year until he was 10. That can give the appearance of added height.

Heck, I just went through that this spring. I walked out into the big pasture to check the horses and I swore that my coming 4 year old had grown another inch or two from the last time I thought about it. Come to find out, he hadn't grown in height (still sticked at 16.1, just like a few months ago), but he had put on about 100 pounds of bulk (he's half draft and very stocky-built), so that made him feel taller/bigger even though he wasn't.

jaytee 04-01-2013 06:01 PM

Horses usually take till 7 till they are fully grown and mature, my gfs gelding looked like a little pony at 4 and at 5 looked like a proper quarter horse, its not that unusual
Posted via Mobile Device

TheLastUnicorn 04-02-2013 12:06 PM

Yes... Happens more than people think. Significant growth after 5 is less common, but does happen.

In some breeds it is considered quite common, and it is becoming more and more studied and proven that all breeds are not generally totally mature until 7 or 8 years of age.

BlueSpark 04-02-2013 12:44 PM

My cousins drafts look like 2 year olds and they are 4 and 5, still not even close to grown. one of their draft crosses just stopped growing(we think) and he is 7.

my friend had a breeding stock pain gelding that grew 2 inches and put on 100# of muscle between 5 and 6.

Alekazam 04-02-2013 07:39 PM

Awesome, thanks for the feedback everyone! Sure hope he has finally hit his final height. :)

churumbeque 04-02-2013 07:42 PM

Common in certain breeds. Like drafts, friesians, walking horses I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

mollymay 04-02-2013 08:19 PM

I've been told numerous times by trainers that most horses arent fully into themselves until about 6-7. My horse is six and has grown a good bit in the past year, but mostly he has filled out properly after I got him from being a pasture horse to putting him on decent hay and feed.
Posted via Mobile Device