The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Had a lesson with a Dressage trainer...ouch!

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  COWCHICK77 
#1 ·
I am up in NorCal visiting family for a bit and hauled two horses up with me. Got into contact with a lady that I have known pretty much my whole life that shows/trains Dressage and asked for a semi-private lesson.
Now I hurt like I have never hurt before...LOL!
I did my lesson on my little bay horse in my ranch saddle but she worked me over good, no stirrups and thrashed me on my alignment and use of leg and position. It was really refreshing to have some help me with my body position, use of core and explain the relevance to the horses movement.

By the end my horse was using his hind end better, our transitions(upward and downward) were almost seamless and halting square. Nothing huge, but it is always fun and exciting to learn new things, use the information and feel it work!

Just thought I would share and give kudos to those Dressage, English and Western riders who bust their butt(literally!) on proper equitation! :D

#5 ·
Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. I have been riding since I was 13ish, am now almost 29. I have been taking lessons on the finer points of riding from a trainer, and she kicks my ****. I had a lesson yesterday, and my thighs are so sore today, I feel like I am walking bow legged. I have dreams of her hollering at me to get my legs back lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
Sounds like a lot of fun! I've been toying around with that idea myself for quite awhile. My big mare knows a fair bit but that's one thing I've never done. You're recap makes me really want to look into a bit harder.

I totally agree with paying for the pain. If you don't hurt, you didn't do it right.

Reactions: COWCHICK77
#11 ·
I would recommend it for anyone.
Riding western all my life and even riding with trainers, body position was not something that was ever harped on. I got a different perspective from the lesson and getting the same or better result.

Plus riding by myself all the time! I ended up turning down a riding job a few months ago and so I am still riding alone. So even having someone watching and giving input is a help if that is the very least I got out of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.